Project: 1911

Greg Bell

I have decided that I am going to start a new project to replace my old “break my P2000” blog. The HK was just too perfect. I have always had a love/hate relationship with the 1911. I love the potential and the history, but I hate the finicky nature of the 1911.

I have decided that I am going to commit the next 6 months to shooting and customizing my Colt Series 70 reissue. But, instead of sending it to a gunsmith, I am going to do it myself.

I have always been facisnated by customizability of the 1911. You can basically make it exactly the way you want if you have the ducats and a Brownell’s catalog.

To that end, here is my goal:

1. Reliability. My Series 70 has been 100 percent reliable with ball since I tensioned the extractor. Before, it would feed jam on the last round. It was inspiring to be able to fix it by turning it around in the extractor hole and just bend it.

I plan to expand the ejection port to modern dimensions. This should be doable with a dremel and patience.

I really don’t think I am going to do much else, since I don’t really shoot anything but hardball. I might experiment, since the gun did have feedway jams when I tried to feed it 230 grain Hydra Shocks.

2. Ergonomics. I plan to add a Wilson Beavertail. I hate to do this, but the classic design just cuts my hand to bits. It cuts back into my hand, and the hammer nicks me a bit. I can install this myself, but I will need to refinish after.
I also plan to dehorn the gun. This gun is RAZOR sharp on the edges. Again, I will have to refinish.

I may install a short aluminum trigger. OTOH, the steel one it has now is fine.

3. Hammer. If I replace the grip safety, I pretty much have to change the hammer. I guess I could file down the old one. This necessitates some stoning since the hammer isn’t a pure drop-in part.

4. Bevel the mag well.
5. Stipple or checker the frontstrap. Maybe.
6. Night sights. This is the most tricky thing. I can’t do this myself unless I buy a mill (unlikely) or send the sights off to Novaks’. There are some options that use the existing set-up, but the front sights are rumored to fly off.

I also plan to run 500 rounds a week through this baby, not including the week I will be at the Rogers shooting school, where I will fire 2000+ rounds in a week.

Wildalaska

OK Greg...then since I am doing one too (with professional help), lets do it...together!

You need some tools...30LPI checkering files, beavertail jig are the two specialized ones you need...

I'm also going to bobtail mine ;)

WildcheckeringisapainAlaska

RevolverLover

That sounds pretty interesting Greg. I'm looking forward to your test.

OK Greg...then since I am doing one too (with professional help), lets do it...together!

You need some tools...30LPI checkering files, beavertail jig are the two specialized ones you need...

I'm also going to bobtail mine

Besides the bobtail, what else are you going to do to it?

Wildalaska

30 lpi checkering, dehorn, novaks front and rear, beavertail (already done), tac safety...its a stainless 70...

Then 1000 rounds and off to engraver!

WildandmaybeivoriesAlaska

Greg Bell

I have the beavertail jig. I need to get the files. I haven't decided on the checkering yet. I may go with stippling. OTOH, Brownell's makes a neat jig for checkering.

RevolverLover

30 lpi checkering, dehorn, novaks front and rear, beavertail (already done), tac safety...its a stainless 70...

Then 1000 rounds and off to engraver!

WildandmaybeivoriesAlaska

Stainless, engraving, and maybe some invory grips....planning on going to a BBQ in Texas? ;)

not including the week I will be at the Rogers shooting school, where I will fire 2000+ rounds in a week.

Greg, are you going to mod your 1911 before or after the Rogers shooting school? What class will you be taking?

joshua

Wildalaska, don't turn it black instead have it mirror polished with the safeties, mag button, trigger, slide stop and all the pins gold plated. Yeah! Baby! Then you can say, "Where mah hoas at?". A nice Cadillac ElDorado will be a great car for you. :D joJustFunnin'w/yamansh

Greg Bell

300 rounds Blazer brass today.

Found today that my old 7 round mags will not hold the slide back on the last round. I tried it with 3, (2 metalform, 1 Colt) and all three failed to hold the slide back. My Novak’s 7 and 8 rounders, and my Chip McCormick 10 rounder worked fine. Hmm.

I used my Comptac holster for my pistol drills. I set up three targets and practiced various drills at 7 and 20 yards. The 1911 is a joy to shoot. I don’t think I am going to go with an after-market thumb safety or slide stop. The classic units seem fine.

Anyway, the classic grip safety and hammer are killing me. I actually put a piece of duct tape on my hand to keep it from being cut up any worse.

My pistol has the steel short trigger. I have a long videki trigger that I guess I will install. I tend to shoot to the right with a short trigger (because, having small hands, I am used to having to stretch my finger out a bit more). I think I will eventually replace the Videki with one of the 10-8 triggers that have the fixed overtravel stop.

I have my Wilson Beavertail and the jig. I need to order some files. Any suggestions?

What technique/tools would you guys recommend for dehorning the gun? You could shave with this guns sharp edges (credit to WildAlaska for that joke).

Finally, I suspect cold blue will do until I finish all the metal work, and then I will get some epoxy from Brownell’s and bake on a new paint job.

Greg Bell

Revolver,

Yes I plan to have most of the mods done before the class. I am signing up for the intermediate class. However, after reading some reviews, I may have bitten off more that I can chew. :eek: