Progressive powder charge variance ???

Ares45

How accurate is your progressive press powder charge? I noticed last night that my 550B is delivering variances as large as 2-3 tenths of a grain with W231. Just wondering if this is normal?

Not overly concerned at the moment but I'll be getting close to the top end of the load data soon. IF/when I max out the charge .2-.3gr will make a big difference. Sounds like I'm going to have to buy a powder trickler. Any thoughts on the best method for employing a trickler with a progressive? ...Or am I going to have to abandon my brand new 550 and go to a single stage if I want to load at/near the max charge?

30Cal

That's normal. FWIW, the more smooth and consistant you are with how you operate the press, the more consistant your powder charges will be. I doubt you'll see any problems on paper with what you are getting now.

Ty

Russ5924

MY Dillon will do the same use three different powders and they will all show 2to3 1/10 off, at one time bothered me but now I just live with it.I try now to adjust a little on the high side.But the one thing that gets to me I only fill powder dispenser about 3/4 full as it empties you keep getting less and less powder so try to keep it at 3/4 :confused:

G56

My Dillon meters WW231 extremely consistently, one of the things that makes the powder measure consistent is to do the same thing every time, every pull of the handle is just like the last, if you bump around on the press it can make it throw inconsistent charges.

Every time you disturb the press, a little more powder settles into the chamber of the powder measure, that's not a problem unless you vary your rhythm, that messes with any powder measure, including the Dillon.

These shells were loaded on the Dillon, powder thrown by the powder measure and not weighed, just the regular progressive reloading. The group was at 100 yards.
43513209.jpg

WESHOOT2

fifteen

Gottalotta powder measures for my 650; vary +/-.1g with W231.

Except Unique, 700X and 800X, and Nitro 100; they 'move around' a wee bit more (like, I don't normally use them in my 650).