Product Reviews Wanted: EAA Witness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd appreciate anyone's review of this line of pistols. I've not handled one and have haerd a wide range of comments about them...mostly from others whao ahve never handled one.

Input from owners and former owners is appreciated. Their new 10mm is due out soon.
Thanks,
Rich

Hal

Rich,
I looked at a 9mm Witness a month ago. I wanted to get a CZ, but nobody in my area sells CZ's. The witness is a CZ clone so I figured I would take a close look at it. I did not get a chance to fire one, nor would I have cared to after I picked one up. Not to say they are poor quality or anything, it was just very uncomfortable in my hand. Not anything at all what I expected. I have a feeling that the exagerated swell of the grip could be kind of unpleasant to shoot, I know it was uncomfortable just to hold it.

Hal

Rob Pincus

Hal, all due respect, but I find the CZ line to be some of the best feeling handguns ever designed. I find them to be pretty heavy though. I haven't tried one of the newer EAA plymer framed weapons though.
I own a Jericho 941, but I shoot it very rarely, it is more of a collection piece.

For the price, the EAAs should be a great handgun!

Obviously, handgun "feel" is a very personal issue. I, too, happen to like the feel of the CZ. I have a Bren 10 that I also really like. Unfortunately, it's quite shot out and parts are nonexistent.

Thus, my interest in the quality of the EAA Witness line.
Rich

EricGT

Staff Alumnus
Hi Rich. I own a Witness T97F .45acp. It has rapidly become my favorite shooting pistol. I love the thing. I am another one who finds the CZ style grip to be very comfortable and natural-feeling. I had some feed problems initially, but that problem was easily remedied with a little work from my Dremel tool. It is an extremely accurate weapon as well. The thing that impressed me most about the Witness initially was the quality of the machine work and how well every part of the weapon fit together. I am not the type who usually buys a cheap weapon. As a mechanic, I have found that the cheapest tools usually end up costing you the most. I took a chance on the Witness and I'm glad I did. I am going to buy a polymer compact .45 Witness next month. The polymer Witness feels even better in my hand than my T97. The only thing I haven't decided on is whether to get the ported model. Any thoughts on that?...Eric

[This message has been edited by EricGT (edited 10-14-98).]

Hal

Guys, just to clear up any confusion, I found the grip uncomfortable for me. I also detest rubber grips, for me the most comfortable grips are the original wood target grips on Smith and Wesson revolvers. A model 19-3 Combat Masterpiece has a perfect feel to my hands. Like Rich says, a very personal thing. That being said, I agree with the others that EAA builds a good quality product, excellent value for the money. If you like the CZ, you should be just as happy with the witness. My own experience with EAA products, is not the Witness but their GT.380. A 100% reliable and accurate piece. Not as well polished and pretty as others, but very good overall. Sorry to have been unclear at first.

Kodiac

The CZ family are generally very good guns. The EAA family however good there guns may or maynot be are out of the picture for me... They have the most insulting advertizing. What is with this BONGO and Blonde lady wrapped in plastic? That is less than tasteful (even though the blonde may be tasty looking). They should either put her in some clothes or or put her in a calander or something. Until the get the marketing up to a grown up level, I will avoid all EAA products.

Richard

I have had a TZ75 Model 88 for years, it is strong, accurate, and has a better trigger than a CZ75. I blew it up learning to reload 9mms, put a new barrel in it and it is good as new. Regards, Richard.

Michael Carlin

Had one of these in 45 acp.

Broke numerous parts due to bad heat treating (too brittle)

Shot less than 1000 rounds cracked frame (first gun)(replaced free of charge and they even threw in supe sight no charge at my request (though I offered to pay)

Shot less than 4000 roundson second gun:

broke 2 trigger bars, two trigger plungers, one trigger roller, two super sights,

most parts were replaced free of charge

Paul and I got almost to first name basis, he tends to be surly and accusatory if you break his stuff repeatedly. It was NOT abused unless shooting the 4000 or so rounds in 6-8 months was abuse.

Service was good, with warranties honored,
I even wrote the president of EAA a letter suggesting that there may be a heat treat problem at Tanfoglio. I got as nice catalog and a bunch of stickers but not real comment.

Now listen up! The design is so ergonomically good that I am going to buy another EAA Witness in 10mm, maybe it will be what the Bren was not.

TEN be Da ONE!

yours in marksmanship
michael

Kodiac

Michael, please - hear me on this one. You dont need a gun that breaks. Buy an H&K of what ever flavor you choose - and you will not have to be sending it back so often. There are still VP-70's on the market, and P-9s once in awhile... (but I am doing everything I can to make sure they get a good home, namely mine) They are very ergonomical, and come from a company known world wide for accuracy and reliability. No one I know has ever said "why'd ya get an HK?" You don't need to worry about bad steel from Germany.

4V50

Retired Screen Name
I have an older CZ75 and I've compared it to the TZ, Springfield P9 and the Jericho. The latter guns don't have the smooth trigger quality of the CZ. Mind you, in all fairness, the newer CZ85 doesn't seem to compare to my older gun either.

Rob Pincus

Hey Kodiac, you are the HK guy around here (I dub thee: Sir H&K.....) anyway, where is the 10mmAuto pistol? They obviously have no great aversion to the round, since they chamebr the MP5 init, so when can I get a USP 10mm?? (I already am in close contact with someone developing a conversion.. what about factory!!) any insight?

westsider

I owned a Witness .45 and loved it. The grip is comfortable and the recoil minimal. Mine was the blued finish model. Favorite features were its reliable handling of a number of different types of .45 ammo, great accuracy and ease of field stripping. It was heavy in carry (I used a vertical draw shoulder holster) and sometimes landed brass on my cap. Overall, I loved it. I traded it for a .357 mag., though. But my recommendation is "buy". It's great for the money. I WILL own another one - trust me.

Steve Koski

We've got a guy that shoots an EEEEEEA in 9mm every month at our IDPA matches and usually wins the Enhanced Service division. I'll have to ask him how he likes it. He's darned good with it.

As for me, I'd have to hear some more research and torture test stories before I'd buy one. I'm like Kodiac in that I'd rather spend an extra $100 or $150 for a gun that:

A. has a history
B. has a good reputation for reliability
C. is used in LEO applications
D. is popular

Popularity may seem like a funny requirement, but I'd like to be able to buy parts for my pistol 10, 20, 30 years from now. If you buy some of the less common makes and models you're probably going to have to retire the gun rather than just change out $50 worth of parts down the road.

Kodiac

A 10MM USP? Hmmm.
Well we know that they made the MP5 version in Ten Mike Mike for the FBI since the FBI got hot over the 10 for a time.
But the FBI is not so big on it anymore as I understand... many agents favoring the 10mmK
round instead (.40)

I am sure Rob, you being LE, HK would be glad to ream a barrel in 10MM for you, to fit the .45 framed pistol. The magazines would need a little work - but I bet you there are guys there at HK that already have'm.
And you just KNOW they are working on a USP.224BOZ - so that being a 10mm case... your only a step away from a 10 chambered barrel.

They question is though - do you really want a 10? Enough to pay for one? -- because thats the real question.

HK... HAND KANNON

Kodiac

Oh, I forgot.
I picked up a new gun rag the other day...
I dont subscribe to any - I dont think they are worth it... Anyways - I get home and later that night deside to read it in my personal library. I'm flipping through the pages looking at the articles and ads... and what do I find?
Another retarded EAA ad. As stated earlier - I have nothing really against EAA guns.
But they have the most STUPID advertising campain in the industry.

I know nobody would buy it if the ad had a photo of say - a GSG9 team on a dynamic entry with all team members armed with baby blue and pink Witness pistols... but it would be more promoting of consideration than a ziplock clad blonde.

Rob Pincus

I wonder if they would be so glad to do the barrel and the slide and the frame. The ejector would need to be raised, the slide appropriately machined to allow for the higher ejector. I ran into this same phenomenon the first time I thought "hey .. I'll just go buy a 10mm barrel and a mag for my 1911!!"
Like I said, there is already a guy paying his gunsmith and risking his USP for the project, so I am waiting until he is finished, I can stand to have the second one this time....
but, I learned a while back, in my "I wish" mode that the standard 45 mags hold the 10mm just fine....

Status
Not open for further replies.