Problems with Wolf ammo

Alex Johnson

Trying to save a few dollars I decided to shoot some 40 S&W Wolf ammo this weekend at an IDPA match. No problems for about 30 rounds and than I got a jam so bad with the stuff in my Glock 22 I had to remove the extractor to remove the spent casing from the chamber. I've never had a jam of any kind with a Glock pistol, but this was unreal, maybe I just got a bad round, but it sure took any desire I have to shoot anymore of the Russian stuff.

rob_p90

I learned quickly to stay away from Wolf. I had a similar feeding problem with a Ruger P90, and they have a reputation of eating anything. Between the lacquer applied to the case for water proofing (tends to melt and gum the gun) and the steel case (tends to chip and break extractors), I shoot brass or aluminum only.

Dave R

Alex, I had the exact same problem with my Hi-Power and 9mm Wolf. I bought 500 rounds of the stuff, and forced myself to shoot it all. Bad mistake. Many stuck in chamber, as you described. Had to replace my extractor just as I finished the 500 rounds. Never again.

People say the lacquer coating on the cases melts when your chamber gets hot, and that's what's sticking the cases. I'm not sure. I had some get stuck after I had fired only a few rounds.

But it stuck either way.

foghornl

I have seen too many folks with problems after using the Wolf stuff. Guy next door had extractor problems with his Ruger P90 after about 200 rounds of Wolf. The only "foreign" brand I have used in my KP90 is Sellier & Bellot.

Another shooter at the local range got a case stuck in his Springfield after a couple of mags of fairly quick fire, installed fresh mag, waited a couple of minutes while changing targets, first round stuck.

DMK

CCI Blazer can be real cheap when on sale. When opportunity strikes, I buy it buy the case and it's never let me down so far.

swatman

I must be lucky, so far I have shot Wolf ammo in about every caliber and out of Glocks to pre-ban Ar's and no problems of any kind yet.

wolf

my HK USP 9MM full size had no problems eating the wolf. about 2000 round worth and never a jam, but I shoot the S & B now. $4.99 a box from natchez and the brass is reloadable.

dfm

No trouble with any caliber Wolf ammo except for .45 ACP in a G21. Light primer hits. Worked well in any exposed hammer type pistol.

dfm

Tall Man

Wolf Ammo - Always stinky, always cheap.

Here's the Tall Man's experience with feeding and ejection:

1. 45acp in my EAA Witness Polymer Compact 45 - Not so good (consistent stovepiping; once every 10 to 15 rounds). Could have been the weapon, though - a bigger piece of **** I've never owned. Good riddance.

2. 9mm in my Glock 19 - Good (had just a few failures to eject).

3. 7.62x39mm [122 gr FMJ and 154 gr JSP] in my SKS - Excellent (feeding, ejection, overall reliability....NEVER a problem). Accuracy fair; hardly surprising given the combination of the weapon and the ammunition used.

Based on my own experience, and the experiences offered by other TFL members, Wolf Ammo appears to be a niche product. In other words, it appears to work best in Communist bloc weapons. Makes sense, if you give the matter a little thought.

TM

Carry24x7

TallMan's Right!

Do your shooting brothers and sisters a favor and stop shooting the world's stinkiest ammo!!

I had to report one guy to the Rangemaster cause I thought he crapped himself!

Cavè Canem

Out of 7 boxes and 3 different guns from a G23, to a brand new service issue USP 40 and a 2 year old USP 40 we had about 15 FTF's per box. The ammo is complete and total junk when it comes to the .40. I will never buy this stuff for my pistols again.

There .223 ammo fires fine out of my AR but is messy and now really worth the extra hour of cleaning it causes.

Spend a little more and get different ammo.

SlackO

bought a case of Wolf 9mm.

locked up a S&W 4509, Beretta 92FS, and my Glock 19. All required disassembly to dislodge (sometimes spent) cartridge. Two of these happened in one range session. I agree with the laquer causing the round to stick in a hot chamber. I had to use a screwdriver to drive the spent casing out of the S&W and have no trouble believing that that in addition to the steel case is hard on extractors.

OTOH - and in all fairness, I have to say that all of the 7.62x39 Wolf has been digested by my SKS and SAR-1 without a hiccup.

denfoote

Wolf and Makarov

In other words, it appears to work best in Communist bloc weapons. Makes sense, if you give the matter a little thought

True enough!! It's bad news on all my guns except my Makarovs!! Those little guys eat the stuff up like candy. :)

Caseless

Same experience here - 40 S&W ammo sticking in my HK USP's chamber after firing. I had to wait a while to let it cool down a bit before I was able to eject that sucker. Took me a Herculean effort.
I exchanged the remainder of the 40 cal. ammo for Wolf 9mmP. Seems to be working fine in my CZ 75.
Lesson learned - use eastern bloc ammo in eastern bloc guns only.:eek: