Problems With SW M36

Bullrock

Before I take this pretty little sucker to the gun smith I thought I should ask those of you who may know this gun for help in fixing it.

I bought this online about 10 days ago, and since that time I've had problems with the cylinder not opening. Once in a while the cylinder will open but usually it takes allot of pressure to push it open.

I have had it apart and can't tell what is wrong. The gun is very clean, and well lubed. The end of the ejector rod is tight and all of the springs seem to work OK. Something is holding it shut and I can't determine which end is locking up.

Any advice before I pay to have this fixed is greatly appreciated... :D
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

mtnbkr

The crane could be tweaked or maybe the rod that locks into the frame on each end is too long by a hair (that's the rod that passes through the ejector).

Chris

44 Deerslayer

The ejector rod is probably not screwed in tight. Some screw in Clockwise and some CounterCW depending on when it was made. The later ones tend not to unscrew, the earlier ones do. Since you have a pinned barrel it is an earlier one. You can use a piece of leather to prevent damage to the knurling and a pliers or visegrip to tighten it. Some people use a drop of loctite on the threads. I'm betting this is your problem. Let us know how it turns out. Put some empty cartridges in the chambers when you tighten it to take the strain off the tiny pins in the extractor star.

Edward429451

My CA Bulldog had this problem. I could open the cylinder by pulling the end of ejector rod (I see your E rod is captive though), but the release wouldn't operate it. There is a screw on the breech that pushes on the ejector rod and it had walked in a little disallowing the ejector rod to clear the frame. I backed it out a little and voila', fixed it.

Dunno if this is your problem. Maybe. HTH's.

(Nice!!!)

Bullrock

Edward

There is a screw on the breech that pushes on the ejector rod and it had walked in a little disallowing the ejector rod to clear the frame. I backed it out a little and voila', fixed it.
As you can see there are two screws. At your suggestion I tried backing them both off. It still locks up. I have even tried alternating the screws without any luck. I appreciate the help... :D
attachment.php

Last edited:

Edward429451

Nah, inside the frame. The cylinder release pushes on the E rod where the E rod locks it up inside the frame when the cylinder is closed. Right below the firing pin in the frame.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Sir William

In my experience, this is most likely a too long internal release rod. The thumblatch pushes on this rod which transmits that rod through the ejector rod and pushes against the barrel lg release. It needs gunsmith fitting at times. I think you mentioned buying this M36 as almost NIB. I would guess it was probably not used or fired often. The other possibility is some junk in the works. It will have to be taken apart and checked out by a gunsmith. I saw one that had a burr under the ejector rod inside the cylinder that was keeping it from functioning. It takes very little interference in tolerances to cause them to freeze.

Sir William

I like that nickel. It is not friendly to DIY repairs though. I simply believe a fine M36 as that one is, deserves gunsmith TLC. The possibility that filing could be needed is a reason I suggest not tackling the problem. In the long run, you will be happiest.