Problems with New Ruger Blackhawk .357

TX_Pipeliner

I searched the forums and found a lot of different threads about similar problems, but they were not exactly what I am seeing.
I bought this new Ruger Blackhawk, 7 1/2" .357.

Ruger Blackhawk.jpg

The problem is it shoots horribly.
Shooting from a rest, at 15 yards, it is all over the place.

20160805_131539 (360x640).jpg

At 25 yards, I can barely keep it on the target.
I have checked and rechecked everthing and can find nothing visibly wrong.
I had another revolver with me and shot it to make sure it wasn't me.
That one put 5 in a 2" circle at 25 yards.
Would you send this one back to Ruger or have a good gunsmith check it over?
I'm about ready to just sell or trade it.

dgludwig

Have you had any other competent shooter try shooting it from a rest? It's not very likely but sometimes some guns for some reason just don't work for some people. That about "sums" up my long shot suggestion but I'd want to rule out any possibility before giving up on the gun. And I'd certainly make sure the sights aren't moving around.
Based on my experience, it seems very odd indeed for a Ruger Blackhawk to "shoot all over the place" from a rest @ 15 yards. The good side is that Ruger has a well-deserved reputation for treating their customers right. Keep us informed as to how this gets resolved.

TX_Pipeliner

dgludwig, no, I didn't have anyone else try shooting it. That's a good point. That's also why I shot the other revolver I had with me, to see if it was me. It wasn't.
dahermit, the ammo I shot was factory loaded Fiocchi 158 gr. FMJFP and Fiocchi 38 Spl 158 gr FMJ round nose. Also, shot some Magtech .38 Spl 158 gr lead FP ammo. Got the same result, no matter which ammo was used.
Bob Wright, I did try shooting it off-hand, two hand grip and even left handed. No difference except it got worse, of course.
I want to try again and this time I'll take a buddy and let him shoot it, too.
If I get the same result, I'm sending it back to Ruger.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Weldon

Targa

I am trying to put myself in your shoes from just what you are describing. Letting someone else who is also competent shoot it is a good idea but in the mean time I would be placing a call to Ruger's customer service so they can get a return box headed your way.

BIGR

I am trying to put myself in your shoes from just what you are describing. Letting someone else who is also competent shoot it is a good idea but in the mean time I would be placing a call to Ruger's customer service so they can get a return box headed your way.

What he said, if 2 or 3 shooters get the same results then there has to be an issue....:)

UncleEd

First, has the OP been a regular SA shooter and particularly the Ruger?

It has a very long hammer throw and it just might have something to do with
the long throw and heavy hitting of the frame.

The OP should find another shooteer familiar with the BH and let him/her try it.

Oh, was the other revolver a modern SA/DA model?

Ben_Snow

I have the New Blackhawk SA .357M Stainless with the 6.5" barrel, it was spot on right out of the box using Fiocchi .357M 142gr FMJ-TC. The 38sp ammo was a little sloppier, but still acceptable.

I didn't think Ruger produced a New Model Blackhawk in .357 with a 7.5" barrel, did you mean 6.5" ?

Ruger does produce a New Model Blackhawk Stainless in .45 Colt (Model 0460) with a 7.5"barrel.

Can you clarify?

Pathfinder45

15 yards is awfully close, but that target looks like you would be better off if you were throwing rocks. I shoot a 45 Vaquero that does a lot better than that at twice that range. At 15 yards it tends to stack the bullets right on top of each other. I think something is wrong with that gun.

DT Guy

I'd check for something loose; the last time I had an issue like that, my rear sight had come loose and was wiggling in the dovetail.

That's more likely than a fundamental issue with the gun, IMHO.

Larry

Targa

Great suggestion DT guy, I forgot about the adjustable sights. Makes perfect sense given the shotgun pattern on the target.

tallball

I have 6.5" and 7.5" Blackhawks and a 7.5" Super Blackhawk. They are tack drivers. My 13 year old nephew is newish to handguns and a so-so shooter. Even he can destroy the center of a target with the 7.5" models. I am guessing something is wrong with the OP's Blackhawk.

jackmoser65

I would make no judgements after only one range session. Everyone is so quick to blame the equipment. Is this your first single action? How much experience do you have shooting handguns in general? Single action revolvers are very different from other more common handguns like double action revolvers and semi autos. They are much more sensitive to variations in grip tension and hand position. Due to the slight increase in lock time, follow through is also very important. I've seen tons of shooters who were experienced with other handguns but upon shooting a single action the first time, they weren't quite sure how to even hold the damn thing. With a little instruction they all did quite well. I would suggest a little instruction and some practice before doing anything drastic.

Slopemeno

Follow-through is everything when shooting SA revolvers. Slow lock times, heavy hammers, and wonky grips. Master those, however, and they are incredibly accurate.

Let someone else shoot it, or shoot it while sitting where you can rest your wrists on a sand bag.

Chainsaw.

My guesses are either a crown issue or the cylinder isnt timed and the bullet is banging up against one side of the forcing cone causeing it to wobble bad.

TX_Pipeliner

I hope to get to the range sometime this week to see if I can make heads or tails of this situation.
To answer Uncle Ed, yes, I have been shooting SA and DA revolvers for years along with several semi-automatic pistols. And the other revolver I shot to test myself was a S&W 629 that I shot SA.
I have several SA revolvers and 4 DA revolvers and have been a shooter of all types of weapons since I was a small boy.
DT Guy, I did examine the pistol front to back for anything loose or mis-aligned. Sights are tight, cylinder lockup is positive, nothing apparently loose.
I really appreciate all the suggestions.
I don't think anyone can think of every possibility and its so helpful to get this feedback.
As soon as I can get to the range, I'll let you know what happens.
And this time, at 243winxb's suggestion, I'll only use the Fiocchi ammo.

Weldon

rodfac

Check the cylinder base pin is full seated. The other suggestions as to sights and screws properly tight are good too. Check the front face of the cylinder for lead/powder flash...excessive amounts will indicate a timing problem. Lastly, and assuming the above are ok, call Ruger, they'll most likely send you a FEDEX label, and return the gun for warranty service...on the phone, offer to send them the picture of that shotgun like group. Rod