Problems using a case gauge on 40 S & W

Huskerguy

I just started reloading 40's and had a couple stick in my XDM so I decided to pick up a case gauge this weekend and see if I could head off the problem. I have a few thousand pieces of brass already sized and deprimed and a bunch primed. I went to check them in the case gauge and out of a hundred I had 5-7 that would not go in the gauge at all. They started in and the last 1/8 to 1/4 would not go in. This is after being full length resized. I took my decapping pin out and ran them through again and it did help a couple. There were a few that "snapped" in instead of falling in but it didn't take much pressure at all so I am not worried about them

Is this the famed bulge from shooting in a Glock? Is there any cure besides a special die? Suggestions?

hk33ka1

You could look at the Lee Bulge Buster, you also need a Lee Factory crimp die in your calibre to use it.

This may not be the answer to your problem but is one option.

jmorris

I use an automated casepro for my pistol brass but its an expensive option. The bulge buster is cheap but adds time to the process.

kalevatom

Use the Lee sizing/decapping die from the 3-Die set. That's what I use for .40. I also use the adjustable seating die from the same set.

BigJimP

Yes, you're probably seeing some brass that's come thru a Glock / especially if you have a lot of police depts shooting at your local range ...where you pick up some brass....

But using the case gague to reject some of the brass - is the idea behind using them / so you don't have feeding issues. Rejecting 7 of 100 --- is a little high / but it is what it is ...and I'd just toss them in the recycle bin and not fuss about it.

DogoDon

Just a note, Huskerguy: You could have used your barrel from your XDM to check the rounds, instead of buying a case gauge. Using the barrel is actually better, because the barrel could differ slightly from the case gauge dimensions.

Steve, does the Redding GRX die work well? The "push-through" design is a little odd. Do you use the bottle that mounts on top to catch the cases?

DD

Real Gun

Yes, the Lee Bulge Buster will fix the problems. It also works on primed brass and loaded rounds.

The Redding I would not recommend except for unprimed brass. It is also best in the carbide version which is almost $100.

DogoDon

The Redding I would not recommend except for unprimed brass. It is also best in the carbide version which is almost $100.

:eek:

So let's see, $100 worth of once-fired .40S&W brass would be what, maybe 2000 cases or more? And let's assume 5% of your cases need "bulge-busting" with the Redding die. That means you could go through 40,000 cases, just throwing away the 5% (2000) cases that are bulged, for the same money you would spend on the Redding carbide die.

DD

flyboyjake

my friend, a $25 lee set will solve all your problems. The lee sizer has "bulge busted" every glock bulged case ive recovered and reduced it right back down to specs. Commercial loaders using camdex machines use the lee die with modified threads. You think they are sorting out glock cases?