Problems Seating 30-30 Bullets

Kawabuggy

I have a Lee die set for 30-30. Recently I was attempting to load some semi-jacketed, flat nosed (exposed lead) hollow points. I was having a very hard time getting the bullets to start straight into the case. They kept wanting to cock to one side. I destroyed a couple pieces of brass this way.

My thoughts are that the expander ball is not opening up the case neck enough and this is making it difficult for the bullet to start into the case-OR-the bullet seater die is designed for spire point bullets and the flat faced bullets are just flopping over to one side as soon as they make contact with the die internals.

Any ideas as to what I can try to get around this? I would like to use the gun for hogs in the brush if I can get some rounds loaded for it. At this point, I am stopping until I can come up with a better plan.

azredhawk44

30-30 is a pretty thin case and I had the same problems when I first started with it. She's fragile.

Something that really helps is using a case-mouth deburring tool on the inside of the case to create a smooth transition for the bullet to enter the case.

It's also possible that your expander ball may be leaving too much neck tension and not expanding wide enough. That's much less likely, but possible.

Chamfer the mouth with a deburring tool and see if that fixes it.

OR-the bullet seater die is designed for spire point bullets and the flat faced bullets are just flopping over to one side as soon as they make contact with the die internals.

I doubt Lee shipped you a spire bullet seater in a 30-30 set.

What you're describing happens a lot with flat based bullets, and you have to be more gentle or take extra care in guiding the bullet into place.

gb_in_ga

I have a Lee die set for 30-30. Recently I was attempting to load some semi-jacketed, flat nosed (exposed lead) hollow points. I was having a very hard time getting the bullets to start straight into the case. They kept wanting to cock to one side. I destroyed a couple pieces of brass this way.
I've got a Lee .30-30 die set. I use it for all of my .30-30 loading including when I load the 125 gr Sierra JHP FN which has significant exposed lead. No problems with that bullet, I just loaded up a few of them yesterday. What I would like is an expander die (like what is used with handguns) for use with cast bullets, but that isn't the problem that you have described.

Can you fill us in with more details about the particular bullet you are having problems with?

My thoughts are that the expander ball is not opening up the case neck enough and this is making it difficult for the bullet to start into the case-OR-the bullet seater die is designed for spire point bullets and the flat faced bullets are just flopping over to one side as soon as they make contact with the die internals.
Expander -- possible. Mine doesn't do that, but that isn't to say that yours doesn't.
Seater -- if you have what I have, that isn't the problem. Mine handles conventional round nose and flat nose bullets just fine. For that matter, it works fine with the Hornady FTX gummies which are spire points. I have had no problems whatsoever with the seater that came in my die set.

Last edited:

Dingoboyx

What type of press are you using?

If you are using a non progressive press, try pushing the projectiles into the case mouth by hand (or tap a little with a light plastic hammer) to get the projectiles well into the case mouth (straight) before moving them into the press and finish them off :D

If they are still making the case bulge a little you can pull out the depriming pin out of your FLSD and run them thru the resizing die once more (the whole finished rounds) to make sure they will chamber nicely :D

Kawabuggy

The bullets I'm loading are Speer 110 grain. They are fairly short and hard to hold in my fingertips as I guide them up into the press. I am loading them on an RCBS Rockchucker.

Someone mentioned above about trying to start the bullet into the case by hand--that will NEVER happen as the case mouth after sizing is a very tight fit. I have previously loaded SPBT for this gun and just loaded them one at a time. Those boat tail bullets went in easily because of the chamfer on the bottom of the bullet.

Someone else mentioned chamfering the case mouth-I always do and it does not help with loading these flat base bullets. Even if I go very slowly-they just won't start at all and would rather cock to one side, than start into the case.

gb_in_ga

The bullets I'm loading are Speer 110 grain. They are fairly short and hard to hold in my fingertips as I guide them up into the press.
I've never tried loading those bullets, the lightest I've gone is some 115 gr LRNs that didn't have that sort of problem. Their problem wasn't that they try to go in cockeyed, their problem is that they get shaved by the brass. Those are the ones that I would like a pistol style expander die for. Until then, I can kinda get around the problem by chamfering the mouth.

Regarding that Speer JHP. I've looked at that bullet and had my doubts about it. Not about getting it seated, but about it being too short for the 1 in 10" rifling in my 336 to effectively stabilize.

awaveritt

It's been many years ago for me but if I'm not mistaken, those speer 110 hp's are .308 instead of .307 like the Sierra's designed for 30-30. IIRC, when I used to load these, they were difficult to start. On the other hand I loaded many .308 125 gr. spire points without any problems. Maybe neck-sizer die with a slightly larger bushing would do the trick?

azredhawk44

Hmm... I've used those bullets as well as 100gr 1/2 jacketed in my .30-30 (meant for .30 carbine), also single loaded. Good high velocity plinkin' fun.

They were tricky, but I got 'em in there. Using the same dies you are. Chamfer the mouth, and maybe try lubing the sides of the bullet or the inside of the case mouth slightly? I never had to do that, but who knows? Maybe it will help. Be careful not to get lube on the powder though.

cobra81

Lee makes a universal case mouth expander; I use mine for flaring the case mouth before I seat cast lead bullets. It comes I believe with 3 different sizes of inserts; and puts a nice bell on the mouth, expanding it enough to get your bullets started straight.

You will need to crimp the case when after you seat the bullet, though.

Xwrench3

i use the same bullets, and dies but with a different press (which i really doubt would make any difference). i use a rcbs vld chamfering cutter on the cases of all my rifle cases. i have no problems at all seating these bullets. i do cut a decent size chamfer (not just debur) on my shells, and maybe that is why i have no trouble. take a couple of cases and try cutting a deeper chamfer on them, it might make the difference.

wncchester

"Someone mentioned above about trying to start the bullet into the case by hand--that will NEVER happen as the case mouth after sizing is a very tight fit"

Your mouths are too small, at least for that sharp based bullet. Flare the mouths abit, just enough to let the bullets sit on the mouth square and all will be well. You can use a Lee or Lyman expander or make a flaring "tool" out of another bottle neck case.

Anything with a neck small enough to enter the .30-30 mouth will do fine, .243, .22-250, etc. Ideally you would make it a solid tool just for that task by pouring it full of molten lead. Anyway, just lightly tap the tool into the mouths with a light hammer to make the needed flare, at least until you get a flaring die. A light crimp will then remove the flare.

tokarev762

Like a coulpe of other have already posted, you should pick up a Lee Universal Expander. I use it on many different calibers, pistol as well as rifle. A must if loading cast lead bullets. Adjust it to just barely(the least you work the case mouth, the longer it lasts) bell the case mouth enough to cup the bullet base.

I've loaded the little Speer 110 Plinker for my 30-30 too. Spectacular results on small pests. Who says ya can't use the 30-30 as a varmit rifle.

sundog

My favoritest (that a word?) case mouth expender is an old needle nose plier - it's very smooth. A twist of two in the mouth and you have just enough to start the bullet. Need a little more, add a twist. It's quick, too.