Problem with new Marlin 1894CB

Wayward_Son

I first noticed a bit of looseness in the ammo tube a couple weeks ago, but I figured it was just the way it was designed. I got home from the range yesterday and realized that the tube had come almost completely loose. The front end of the tube is screwed to a small mount that fixes to the front of the barrel in a small dovetail. This dovetail has worked itself loose and slides left and right freely instead of being tightly wedged into place.

I've only had the gun for a month, but I'm a terrible procrastinator and I never bothered to fill out my Warranty and Registration card within ten days of purchase, and if I'm understanding this correctly it seems that my foolishness means that Marlin won't warranty this small (but frustrating) defect.

I will call their customer support tomorrow to see what they say, but in the event that I'm screwed is there an easy fix for this? Is it common? I'm guessing I could probably shim it in some way, but I'd probably be better letting a real gunsmith take care of it.

What do you folks say?

Last edited:

Wildalaska

Marlin will fix that no problem, call them. If they wont (but they will) send it to us and we will, gratis.

If you want to do it yourself (and I urge you to let Marlin do it, so call them)...

Remove mag tube and forend. Slide off mag tube hanger. Put rifle upside down on big vise with padded jaws, tight tight tight. Get a sharp punch and punch a few dimples on bottom of dovetail slot. Take small ball peen hammer and tap edge of dovetail slot to peen. Degrease dovetail slot. Degrease mag tube hanger. Put some aircraft grade epoxy or loc tite in dovetail slot. Tap hanger back on. Wipe off excess. Use punch to stake edge of hanger/slot, dont get out of control, one or two max.

But call marlin first :)

WildcallthemAlaska TM

Wayward_Son

So, if I understand you correctly, I shouldn't call Marlin? Am I picking up what you're putting down?

:)

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll let you know what Marlin says tomorrow.

Last edited:

3StrikesNC

Call Marlin. They stand behind their guns, 5 years.

You may get "JoAnn" on the phone. She'll send you a shipping label.

Turnaround for me was real quick (less than two weeks).

Call Marlin.

DennisD

Since no one else has told you this yet; call Marlin. :)

I bought a 1894 Cowboy .44 mag in January. While cleaning it up for the first shooting session and doing a little polishing on the lever (to prevent the Marlin jam); I noticed the front sight was off center with the barrel. I pushed on the sight with my thumb and it slid over in the dovetail. I knew something wasn't right with that (it only took me about 30 minutes to figure that out ;) ). I took it back to the dealer I bought it from (my usual gun shop) and they took care of sending it back. Got it back in 2 weeks with a new front sight.