Problem with Kel Tec SU-16C

scorpion_tyr

Just got back from my second time shooting my SU-16C and it's no bueno.

The rifle is accurate and I like it, but it's just not reliable.

First Session: Bought it used, took it right to the range and sent about 120 rounds of Monarch .223 Remington FMJ Steel Case through it. Everything worked great. Had one stovepipe early on, but nothing after that... until I changed ammol. I ran out of Monarch so I put in some PMC .223 FMJ Brass Case. No more ejecting. She would only eject 1 out of every 3-5 rounds. She wasn't stovepiping, the empty case would just be in the chamber still or sitting above the next round getting ready to go in (causing failure to feed). Well I figured it was the ammo so I called it a day and went home.

Second Session: Brought 100 rounds of Federal .223 Remington FMJ Brass Case and 200 rounds of Monarch .223 Remington FMJ Steel Case. The gun did the exact same thing with the Federal rounds as the PMC, except this time when a fired round was left in the chamber and would not eject and I let the action slide forward on it's own the ejector still wouldn't catch it and eject it. I had to use a rod to go down the barrel and push the shell out. When it didn't do that it came out of the chamber, but still wouldn't eject. So I put in the Monarch Steel Case and went to town, except now the gun FTE'd about 1 in 8 rounds. I did a quick field strip and cleaned the gun, put it back together and it worked great for about 40 rounds, and then started doing it again.

Since it wasn't as bad and there was never a round left in the chamber with the steel case I began to suspect the case deflector. I've read in other forums where this caused some FTE's so I cut that bad boy off with a multi-tool (The case deflector is a new add on that comes standard with the C model, the old style bolt handle is underneath it. That didn't work, and after a little while the FTE's became more frequent and the cases started to stick in the chamber with the steel case as well.

Throughout all this I did swap magazines, I used 2 AR mags, a Mapul P Mag, and the 10 round Kel Tec, they all did the same thing.

At this point I'm suspecting the extractor might be worn down from the steel casings. I've read about this happening but people who posted said it would take thousands of rounds, which might be the case since I bought it used. I looked at it at the range, but it seemed fine. I'll see if I can post some close up pics in a minute.

So fellow forum members... any ideas?