Problem With GP100

shoots awe lots

Last nite I was shooting my gp 4". I was using 158 jhp with 6.1 tightgroup. The first shot of six I noticed a splatter in the face, the second shot the same thing. Then the cylinder would,nt work single or double action, like gun was froze up. I opened the cylinder and noticed heavy brass along edge of forcing cone, like timing was off. Took gun all apart and nothing looks out of sorts and took light and checked each cylinder for alignment. I am now alittle nervous about shooting it again, any suggestions???? :confused:

WESHOOT2

listed "Maximum"

Might be over-max in your GP; suggest saving Titegroup for mild plinkers and using a more appropriate powder for stormin' hotties.

(I have two KGP-141's; great guns).

Mal H

Staff
I agree with WESHOOT2. 6.1 gr of Titegroup is on the hefty to too-hefty side. It's equilvalent to almost 3 times it's weight in H110, and that would be a real kicker. Back off a little and see if things change for you.

Master Blaster

Per hodgdon data 6.1 is maximum for titegroup and a 158 JHP, You could try 5.5 gr and see what happens. What 158 JHP are you using? is it a real soft 158 gold dot perhaps designed for .38spl velocities? From what you said it sounds like its leaving aprt of the jacket in the forcing cone of the revolver, If you get a core seperation that could lead to the next shot going Kaboom due to the barrel being partly obstructed.

Core seperation can also be cause by using too low of a velocity for the bullet's design, but thats not too likely at 6.1 grains of titegroup.

shoots awe lots

The powder issue would fly if I had,nt been using this setup all winter with no problems in gp100, sp101,model 65ls,686. Will try different powder, but am still thinking problem with gun. We changed over to tightgroup in all our 38-357 reloads and havent had any problems, westcoast 158 jfn bullets and some ranier 158 jrn. :confused:

Mal H

Staff
Ah ha! That's a horse of a different color. I believe Westcoast bullets are plated and I know Rainier's are. So the load data is closer to lead bullets than copper jacketed bullets. Though 6.1 grains of Titegroup is still "up there", it isn't quite as ferocious as if you were using a jacketed bullet. The max pressure will be a good deal lower also.

Might be a good idea to have the revolver looked over by Ruger or a competent local gunsmith if you know one in your area.