problem with a marlin model 60

gadgetguy1288

ok, after doing a few searches(to no avail), i decided to ask here(if its in the wrong spot, please have it moved)

A few months ago i was given a very old marlin model 60 by my grandfather. all i know about it is that it is at least 20+ years old., but is in very good condition, the stock is a little rough but everything else functions as it shud, until yesterday.

i fired off about 50 shots, and reloaded the tube. after 5 more shots when i pulled the trigger, it just clicked. i pulled the slide and loaded a new round, and it did it again. i looked at both rounds and they both have no marks at all from a firing pin(as in the firing pin is not hitting the bullet at all) i did this about 10-15 more times and still the same result.

i know it cant be just a dirty gun, because i clean it religiously after every time i shoot it.

could my firing pin be broken, or could it be something else?

i really dont know what to do and the gun has somewhat of a sentimental value to it(for me at least, because im really close to my grandfather, and he might not be around much longer.)

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Pahoo

These 60's series are very dependable with routine cleaning. They are also very easy to work on and one way or another, you should check the firing pin and then go from there. You still may have some dirt that has come loose, blocking the firing pin. Try to fix it yourself and then go to a smith.

Be Safe !!!

rgitzlaff

I agree, take it apart and clean it well. That means clean out the action and all working parts. Brake cleaner works great for blasting crap out of hard to clean places. Look for crap in with the firing pin. Look at the firing pin to see if it looks broken or deformed somehow.

gadgetguy1288

well, im not exactly sure what i did, but it worked, i took the whole gun apart(again), pulled out the firing pin, and then put it back in after scrubbing it down really good(there wasnt much on it but i did it anyways. and after i put it back together everything worked fine

YAY!!!
thanks for all the help