Problem crimping Hornady XTP 90g .380 ACP

RNG

Greetings - I'm having a problem with the crimps on my Hornady XTP 90g .380's.

LNL AP
Lee dies w/factory crimp die
Once fired brass
I do not trim pistol brass

1st station = Lee deprime/resize die (approx .350-.354" inside the case mouth)
2nd station = power charge
3rd station = empty
4th station = Lee bullet seating die (seating only/no crimp)
5th station = Lee Factory Crimp Die (1/4 turn = light crimp)

I seat the bullet .965 and then crimp with the FCD. Bullet can be pushed into the case with moderate pressure.

More of a crimp(1/2 turn to two turns) it takes much less pressure to push into the case. More than one turn on the FCD tends to deform the bullet.

Not a reloading rookie. Have reloaded many different calibers including .380's with different profile bullets. (cast, plated, jacketed)

Contemplating trying a different brand of dies to see if it resolves my problem.

Any suggestions or recommendations on how to resolve my crimping problem or recommendations on which dies would resolve my problem would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

All the Best
Rich

Your #3 Lee seating die is also a crimping die. Have you tried using that to crimp, and just use the factory crimp die for the post-sizing function?

nhyrum

If after crimp, your bullets still can be pushed in, you are flaring too much usually.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RNG

When I first started reloading years ago I quickly learned that seating then crimping with the same die, for me, was an effort in futility. I would seat bullets with the die, then come back and crimp in a separate step with the same die. Once I got the FCD's for all my calibers I only used the seating/crimping die for seating. Has always worked for me until loading these Hornady XTP's.

Not flaring at all. Once resized, I charge without flaring, seat, then crimp.
I'll try what you suggested and try crimping with the seating/crimping die in a separate step.

I was hoping a different brand of dies(Hornady, Redding, RCBS, Lyman) would resolve my issue.

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.
Rich

Too much flaring is one cause. With 45 Auto, I found reloading R-P brass was also a principle cause, and others have reported the same problem with R-P in other chamberings. I don't know first hand, since I don't shoot 9mm, but if you have that headstamp, the necks can be very thin-walled and fairly hard and simply spring back too much coming out of the resizing die. The hint that this is happening is they will slip right over the expander with no friction until you get to the flaring portion.

If you want to try different dies, the Dillon sizing dies tend to be tighter than Lee and some others to assure uninterrupted progressive loading.

RNG

Hi UncleNick - Been a long time since we chatted. Hope all is well.

It's mixed headstamp so I'll pick out the non-R-P and see how that works. Not flaring at all. Just deprime/resize, charge, seat, crimp(FCD).

Thanks,
Rich

zeke

Had Lee make a custom 380 undersize die years back, and it was inexpensive. Although had more of a problem with bullets pulling in the 380 due to firearm and bullet being used.

rc

Your expander plug is too big or you are flaring the mouth too much. You can remove the plug and sand it down a bit with fine sand paper running it around chucked in a drill. I found with RCBS 32 Long/mag dies if you are not loading wad cutter bullets with some sets you have to swap out a 32 ACP expander to get propper crimp tension. Those sets were supplied with lead bullet sized expanders. You don't have enough neck tension on the brass . Find the right flare expander set up and your problems with disappear.

buck460XVR

It's not your crimp. Crimp does not equate to proper neck tension and it is neck tension that holds the bullet in calibers that use a taper crimp.

Problem is with your Lee dies. Had the same issue a few years back. Contacted Lee about the issue and they admitted that they had an issue with their standard resizing die not sizing the case down enough for sufficient neck tension. Told me the solution was to buy their Lee "Undersized" .380 die for $30 + $10 shipping. More than their whole 4 die set. The one reason I went with Lee dies instead of a better brand to start with, was because they were about half the cost and I was not going to reload more than a few hundred a year. Dies are dies, right? Not so much. Another $30 and I was at the level I would have been with RCBS, Lyman/Hornady, etc. Still, it was half as much so I went for it. Have not had an issue with neck tension since. Lee tried to tell me it was because I was using thin, wore out range brass, but I had the same problem even with brand new Starline(thickest I know of). I was just happy I didn't blow up a gun because of it. I was disappointed that Lee did not give a disclaimer with their standard set in the first place. I do not understand why they do not replace their standard resizing die in their set with the undersized die since most folks I have talked to, need it with .380. The fact that they charge so much for a "specialty" die that takes no more machining/materials than their standard die, tells me they like the idea most of us will need to buy the "Undersize" die if we want to ensure we are making safe ammo. Sorry Lee lovers, but they lost me.

RNG

Appreciate all of the replies and suggestions. After spending hours trying to work this out I finally decided to measure the bullets. Every one I measured out of the new box/bag was between .353" - .354". Not sure what happened to Hornady QC. Opened the other two new boxes and measured a few out of each. Same thing. Never had a problem reloading cast, FMJ, or HP .380's in all the years I've been reloading. Going to give another brand a try and while I'm at it will be looking at Dillon dies.

Thank's again for the assist.

Wishing all of you and your family's the very best in the New Year. Happy New Year to all.
Best Regards,
Rich

zeke

Bought the RCBS carbide die set for 380. It does not give the case neck tension desired, so had Lee make a custom special order under size 380 die. Considering the cost at the time, it was cheap and available. Wonder what other companies would charge for a custom special order sizing die, if they even offered them? When i got mine, it was not a standard production item. They also offer a universal case mouth bell die, that does not expand the case below a taper to insert the bullet. Need to be careful bullet gets seated straight.

Even knowing what the dimensions and quality of the brass and bullets being used, can only offer suggestions of what to try. Without first hand knowledge of what the dimensions of various companies 380 dies are, would not know if they would work for what the op wants. Would never assume they all size to the same dia.

Am not a huge fan boy of Lee products, but they do offer some excellent capabilities other manufactures do not. This wouldn't excuse them knowing a standard production sizing die was out of spec, or non-functional, and not offering to fix it or change a production item.

Last edited: