probably a dumb question about front/rear sight compatibility

idek

I put a Skinner aperture sight and front post on my Marlin 1894c last spring. I took the front sight hood off at that time, because it just seemed to clutter up the sight picture. I haven't used the hood since.

I'm just curious if anyone keeps a front sight hood on when using aperture sights or if there is any good reason to do so.

idek

Okay thanks. I had heard/read that some people actually prefer the sight picture they get when leaving them on while shooting with open sights. And old Mauser k98's had a nice sight picture with a front hood:
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4814435809165583&pid=1.7

...so I didn't know if there were any benefits other than protecting the front blade. But as I said above, it seems distracting with aperture sights, so I'll continue to leave it off.

Last edited:

Strafer Gott

It keeps the front sight uniformly illuminated. If the sun shines on one side or the other, your shot placement may be affected. For some reason this really aggravates my astigmatism.

solocam72

Not a stupid question! That's what this place is for, to ask and get advise. I personally would leave the sight hood off and forget that it ever had one, its not needed