private schools: no tragedies

DCR

Paul Harvey read a letter from a fellow who was upset because nobody has mentioned that no shooting tragedies have occurred at private schools to date. Now, as I understand it, private-schooled children have the same access to firearms as do public school children (my brother-in-law's private high-school principal used to tell students to keep their hunting arms in their lockers so they wouldn't get stolen from their cars). Clearly, then, as we've tried to point out to the anti's, it ain't the weapon, or even access to one, that's the root of the problem. Toss that one at 'em.

By the same token, makes you feel for our public school teachers; all too often they, like LEO's, are often on the business end of a difficult kid's aggression. TFL teachers, you got my respect.

- - - Don

LightningLink

Absolutely!
I think there is a very different mindset when it comes to private schools. For one, most private schools require an active participation by the parents. It's not just a dumping ground so the parents can go off and have a nice career (no flame for those that have to work). And since the parents have to pay for this, you can sure bet that most are going to make sure their child gets the most out of it.

This is by no means a flame for those who have kids in public school. But the big difference is that the parent must take it upon themselves to be involved. They have to care what happens. There are many parent out there who do exactly that. Unfortunately, there are also plenty of those who expect the school to raise their child for them. To be the surrogate parent while they work. Again, I understand that there are those who have no choice. But it seems to me that most of the problem kids are those whose parents "choose" to not care.

And as to the teachers, I think most of them are trying the best they can. They are being stifled by liberal policies dictated by those who have no interest whatsoever as to what really goes on inside a classroom. You know, the ones who say, "no corporal punishment", "there are no failing grades", "it's more important for the child to feel good about themselves than to excel academically", and so on.

I am by no means a conspiracy theorist, but you gotta wonder ... what better way to control the masses than to make sure they are good and dumb from the beginning.

LL

UH OHH! You shouldn't have said that 72Bronco. This means the next one will be in a private school.....but then, deep down, you know that, don't you?

DCR

Whoops - hope I didn't jinx it. Naw, seriously, LL, you've hit it on the head: parental involvement is the key. Teachers appreciate a kid whose parents are actively involved in their education, because the kid comes to class respectful, prepared, and ready to learn more. These aren't the kids who do a number on the schools and other students.

Speaking of keeping the masses dumb, has anyone seen some of the liberal tripe in kids' texts today? Some texts gloss over even wars to avoid mention of assasination, firearms, violence, and other "troubling" events, thereby minimizing the importance the acts have in the formation of our country, the principles on which it was founded, and how we have evolved to present. As LL pointed out, liberal interest groups are stifling our educators; they demand to be on and are selected by state "educrats" to be textbook reviewers for the state. If the book doesn't pass their liberal litmus tests, i.e., no mention of RKBA or limited government or individual rights, then it's not on the approved list for the state and our teachers are stuck with C@#P for texts to use in teaching our kids.

Sorry for the digression; had to have a rant.

---Don

Crash

Hate to burst your bubble 72Bronco, but here in Alabama we have had AD/ND of a gun that a student brought to school.

The problem isn't just public vs. private. Its parents that just don't have enough time. Working 47+ hours a week in this robust economy.

Ever wonder why producivity seems to have gone up? People are working 40-60 hours a week to be a team player and only getting paid for 40.

DCR

Crash:

Sorry to hear about the AD/ND. Injury or fatality? Hope not. I'll forward details, if available, on to the radio figure.

No flames intended for the hardworking; I'm among that group as well and feel guilty as H*ll I can't spend even more time w/ my boy.

It's frustrating as hell when my school system has an early dismissal/parent conference day and only one or two parents show up to meet about their child's progress. Ironically, the first parents to cry foul when an grade isn't up to snuff are usually the parents that--surprise, surprise--never bothered to come to ED/PC day. Students whose parents are involved rarely cause problems or have problems with grades, disciplinary procedures, etc., etc. Interesting, too, that high school teachers take the flak for students who don't take responsibility for their learning; no one ever snots and whines about the middle schools or the elementary schools and their role in said students' education.

I teach freshmen, juniors, and seniors. Why must I represent the sum total of the teaching those students have received? It's difficult for me to repair nine to ten years of learned behavior plus giving the students as much knowledge about thinking for themselves as possible for the term in which I teach them.

Forgive my rant, but I am not the sole provider of a youth's education. Mother and father have them for far more hours of the week than I do . . .

[This message has been edited by Johnny Got His Gun.1 (edited November 17, 1999).]

Red Bull

I grew up in private schools. I am so grateful to my parents. I spent one year at a public school, and oh what a difference.

My parents gave up driving a new car every year so they could send me to a private school. In fact, they gave up a lot, because they didn't have much to start with. I had to drive across town, sometimes 1.5 hours *each way* to get to a private school, because there were none in my area. It was worth it.

I will send my kids to private school or home school them, most likely the latter. I will give up whatever I have to in order to accomplish this goal. It is a great sacrifice when you think of all the nifty things you could buy instead of sending your kids to private school, or home schooling them, losing one person's income. (hat's off to you, Darthmaum)

Here's a trivia note for you:

Average cost of public school student per year: ~$4500
Average cost of private school student per year: ~$1500

(* source, US News and World Report)

Private schools undoubtedly give kids much better educations (our school never scored on *average* less than about 1.5 years ahead of our public school peers, and the spread is much larger today as the quality of public schools declines...and that is not even accounting for the drastic difference in the peaceful atmosphere and generally crime-free environment that you have to experience to understand), and the private schools do it all for one third the cost of what the government teaches our kids for. If that is not an example of how a bureaucracy can squander money, then I don't know what is.

There can be very effective arguments made by people more knowledgable tran myself, that public schools began their decline when prayer was outlawed. In fact, overal scores of public schools have plummeted steadily since 1962. (Standard test scores are one of the only ways to measure these things quantitatively. That does not account qualitatively for the overall hellish atmosphere in public schools today, compared to public schools of the 50's and early 60's or private schools today).
Private schools are not any smarter than public schools ever were, they are just maintaining a steady pace while the public schools decline. Test scores compared show that private schools, (which sprang up everywhere as soon as religion was taken out of public school by the ACLU), have maintained the same test scores that the public schools had in 1962. But, in the meantime, public schools scores have steadily plummeted, widening the gap.
Does it take a genius to see how things have gotten much much worse, with crime, drugs, and pregnancy through the roof, as they take more and more religion out of the schools?
Can anyone under 30 years old believe that as early as late 1950's, the New Testament was a required course in order to graduatre high school? I was shocked to see the textbooks. It is amazing how things have changed since the late '50's in our schools, someone my age can't even imagine what it must have been like.
Sure, some people don't like Christian religion in our public schools, but how do we like the alternative? No respect for life, no respect for authority, no accountability, no "right and wrong", everything is a gray area and "only wrong if you feel it is wrong". We are seeing that alternative right here, today.

Ps- I don't see how an AD/ND has anything to do with it? We are talking about mass murderers here.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited November 17, 1999).]

Ivan8883

One of the planks of the Communist Manifesto is public education. And now we see how the Public school System, which should be called GOVT. SCHOOL SYSTEM, has nearly complete control of the children who are taught today only to comply with the edicts of their teachers and to work together in a communal spirit. No independent thought will be tolerated :eek:nly what the state tells the children will be correct. The global plantation will need obidient subjects. The message is: we have your children. Most parents, working around the clock in the "new" economy, dont have time to see what is going on. Of coarse, what i am saying is "unamerican" according to the fat, bloated board of educations around the country. Parasites all and we the taxpayers are funding our nations desruction through the public school system.