Primers...

UltimaSE

what do you guys think?
I have a guy offering me 4500 primers which is made of up, 1500 winchester small pistol, 1500 federal large pistol, 1000 winchester large pistol, and 500 cci small pistol. I'm a bit wary of the federal primers as I've heard some people here talk about them being very soft and subject to possibly going off while reloading. The price on this would be $40.

He offered me then the package of primers without the federals for $30 instead.

Am I going to be kicking myself later for not getting the federals? Really not much of a price difference, but then again he hasn't calculated in haz mat as of yet...

UltimaSE

John Marshall

I will agree with Bob. I've used nothing but Federal primers, both rifle and pistol, for the last 6 years and have had no problems.

I would, of course, not recommend mixing the primers in the same load recipes.

tonyz

I too must Agree. I have used Federal Primers with no problum's at ALL. Buy them, Use them, and Enjoy shooting them.

Best Tony

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Only primers that I ever had any kind of problem with was some years back with Hornady Primers(who made them for Hornady I do not know). The problem I had was the edge (inside edge)or maybe it was the anvil was a little wide and kept catching on the edge of the primer pocket. This was small pistol primers and WW brass in 38 spl.

Sub MOA

UltimaSE,

Yes, under a penny a pop is a great price. Before buying primers (like at gunshows or from private parties), I always ask where they have been stored. If some guy tells me they've been in his attic for a couple years I walk away. Primers will last longer than you or I as long as they're stored away from excessive heat and/or humidity. Just something to think about.

Sub

UltimaSE

er wow, he just emailed me back telling me that hazmat is going to be at least 27.00 and going up from there. I thought it was only going to be around 15 or so. This changes things a bit.

How much do you guys usually pick up primers at gun shows for? I have one in a few months that I could pick them up there but I'm wondering if this is this is still going to be worth it.

4500 primers for 67 or more.

That and he mentioned that the primers are treated like ammo so I have to provide a signed doc saying that I'm over 21 and my DL. I'm confused I meant all these requirements but I don't remember there being a restriction like these on primers.

Any help would be appreciated,
UltimaSE

saands

I have done business with both of these places:

http://www.dnrsports.com/
http://www.tntreloading.com/

Although there is a $13 or $15 HazMat fee, you can do pretty well if you make a big buy since the fee is on the shipment, not each box. Here in Northern CA, a pound of powder can go for $20 or $21 so 4000 primers and the 4 lbs powder that goes with it more than make up for the Hazmat. Shipping usually washes with the sales tax. I almost always get a group buy together where a few friends order together and the price really falls as we consolidate the shipping and HazMat fees ... just another option.

I used Federal primers extensively and never had a problem, but the Lee Reloading Manual says not to use them in bulk feeders since if one detonates, the whole tray can go ... the CCI's are the same price and seem to work just as well, so I have switched to them ... If I had access to free Federals, I would use them, but I think I would load them 10 at a time in my tray.

Be Safe!
Saands

Sub MOA

UltimaSE,

Just last month I at the local show I picked up a box (1,000) of WIN WLP for $12.50 out the door (retail prices in my area running $15-20). You can probably get a cut rate for buying in bulk. The shows are usually a good place for primers and bulk bullets because you can avoid haz mat and overweight shipping charges.

Sub