Primers

4runnerman

Maybe this has been gone through before and if it has i appoligize. Has anyone noticed a big difference in primers?. I used to use CCI 300 only,but tried some Rem 2 1/2 primers and have discovered that (same load,same powder) my groups are much tighter.Went from 3 to 4 inch groups to 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups.Also would like input on what in your opinion is the best brand 185 gn to 230 gr SWC bullets for 45 ACP.I have heard they are much more accurate and have never tried them. Also other than having to buy 500 lots is there a place you can get samples,like 20 or 30 to try. Hate to have to buy 500 to find out i don't like them.
Thanks for any info you can offer

alan

I've used Winchester Primers, Standard Force for years and years, so I cannot really address differences in groups, though when now and then I used CCI brand, I never noticed any difference except in revolvers. The CCI's seemed harder, and sometimes didn't go "bang" the first time.

I doubt that you could get "samples" though who knows. If you are interested in "economy", and your purse will support current pricing, something that has really gone thru the roof, try buying by the sleeve, that's 5000, if you can find them so packaged.

Good luck.

Snobal

4runnerman -

A chronograph will provide years of entertainment.

I got one when they first came out with "sky screens" to help with working up "one-hole" groups in my rifles. I was not loading for "speed," but rather accuracy and my primary concern was shot-to-shot velocity variation.

I found that primers (brand and lot #) can really change the shot-to-shot velocity variation and group size.

Trying different primer brands and standard-versus-magnum primers is something I normally do when working up a "one-hold group" load for a specific handgun or rifle.

I agree with Alan about CCI primers. I recently bought a brick (1000) of small pistol primers (CCI 500 --- Lot # K31M) that appear to be make from small rifle primer cups and are so hard they will not flatten when being seated with a RCBS press. I have had several FTF's with that lot after never having a FTF with a CCI primer in over forty years of reloading (but I don't replace stock springs in my handguns).

At about the same time as I bought that brick of CCI primers, I bought a box of 5000 with a different lot number that work as well as any other CCI primer I've tried.

I practice with CCI primers and use Winchester primers for serious competition.

JMHO

Last edited:

Shoney

Good example of "primers do make a difference". In flash tests that read, they were for Large & Small Rifle, the photos showed much greater flash with the Remington. I suppose that may also be true with pistol primers.

The greater flash may translate into more consistent output with powders. Once I get anaccuracy load, I experiment with primers. On some occasions you have to also adjust powder charge to get maximum accuracy.

alan

Re the "flash test" once upon a time, I did one myself, very unscientific, though interesting at the time I thought.

I put a sized and primed 30-06 case into a Garand rifle I had at the time. In a dark room I "fired" the rifle, it had a standard 24" barrel. I saw a tounge of blue flame that looked at least 12" long, out the muzzle end. This was with either an RWS or Winchester Standard Large Rifle Primer.

Likely there are brand to brand, lot to lot variations in primers. There are lot to lot variations in powders too.