Primers sitting in shop for 2 summers.

Greg Bell

Hey,

Guys I bought 5k of primers and left them in my shop. When I blew up my 1911 I quit reloading for a while. Anyway, should I use these primers? I hate to waste them. These are for plinking rounds so I don't care about a dead primer. Any other potential problems?

Greg Bell

LOL. I wasn't worried about the age as much as them sitting out in the shop in the heat. I know it isn't wise to store ammo in conditions like that. I was worried the primers might have gone kaput.

Tired Retired

Why dont you try what I did once with some old primers. I randomly pulled some out of a box of "questionable storage" and seated them in cases. I then fired the primers with my lightest revolver. They all went off so I assumed that they were good. Used them and didnt have any problems with that batch of rounds. Just make sure you wear ear protection to pop the primers, especially indoors. Popping a primer without ear protection is something you will do only one time!

Crosshair

Send them to me and I will "dispose" of them for you.:D

Seriously, use them. The worst that could happen is a squib, but that is darn unlikely on 2 year old primers.

Mike's hit the point. Father Frog's site has information that you can destroy non-corrosive primers with as little as one summer in the trunk of a car. That can get as high as 170 degrees at the peak of the day in Arizona, though. So, how hot did it get?

skidooman603

Oh I'm sure your shop got far over 170 degrees best send them to me! :D I've got 25 yr old primers that have been through two moves and a divorce. Much more loyal still than wives or kids!

ryalred

If you don't mind me asking, how did you blow up your 1911? If you do mind, just tell me to mind my own business.

P.S. I'd use the primers--they're tough little critters.

Snobal

I was trying different "pet" loads in a new GP100 when I came across some .38 Special "accuracy" loads I'd put together in 1976.

That ammo along with a couple of boxes of .38 GI Ball ammo has been in car trunks, sheds, etc. etc. from Southern Nevada to South Carolina.

Both still shoot as well as new --- as have a brick of small pistol primers that I had marked "1989" when I bought it, and every one of them worked perfectly this past fall and winter.

I am not suggesting storing your ammo and components in extreme conditions, I am just saying that I have never had a problem.

JMHO - YRMV

Greg Bell

Of gets hot as heck in Ga. But I will just shoot em!

In answer to the a about how I blew up my 1911. I was overly cautious in my loads and I, like a moron, absent mindedly did a tap rack and bang on a squib. Kablewy!!