Primers got wet

wvshooter

I had a couple hundred .223 cases primed with CCI 450 magnum primers waiting to have bullets seated. They were in a box on the floor of my garage which got flooded. The cases got water in them and sat that way for about three days. They have been dried since. Did the water damage the primers? Anyone been there, done that?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Primer compound is kept (relatively) safe during ammo manufacturing by being kept wet. I doubt you've done anything to it that it hasn't seen before. I'm not sure I'd trust them for important shots until I tested a few but I'd bet they'll work fine.

243winxb

I soaked a few hundred in water for a week. After drying a small sample in the sun, they all fired. But i did not use them in loaded ammo. I should add, primers were still in the scrap brass when soaked/dried.

Last edited:

Jeffm004

They are not impervious. years ago I bought 1000 rounds of surplus .308 and did not open the crate. This year I did. Water got in before my time. They were rusted and ugly. I test fired 5, all duds and pitched everything. I would surely put them on my first to fire list.

The crate showed no signs of water, even after knowing it had to have been sitting in it at one time.

Slamfire

Let them dry for a while and see if they go bang. Primer mix is made wet and the primer dried. A sealant is put over the cake.

Tuzo

Recovered different calibers of ammo after hurricane Sandy flooding. Salt water intrusion left brass discolored and leached a bright neon green (not brass verdigris) from primers. Tried a few rounds of M1 Carbine, .45 ACP, and 7.62x54R. Some rounds functioned fine but after a couple of squibs, many failure to fire, and one scary two-second hangfire I gave up.

Pulled the bullets to find either dry or wet powder but apparently unaffected primers. Did not wish to risk my safety and carefully deprimed salvageable brass. No mishaps during depriming.

Now I have to figure out how to salvage nearly 200 Berdan primed brass cases for conversion to Boxer priming. Saw a neat video using copper tubing and swage to convert and will try it when I find the time. May be easier to buy virgin brass and start over.

wvshooter

Thanks for the replys.

I think I'm going to be ok. These are probably already a 100% dry but I'll let them sit a while longer and then load up a few for a test.

Thanks again.