Primers For TAC In .223

Blue Grass

I found a pound of TAC recently and have never used it before. I have the RamShot load data sheet but the only primers listed in .223 are Fed 205M. I understand this is a small rifle match primer. I haven't seen Fed primers for sale locally in a year. I have PMC small rifle std primers and CCI small rifle mag primers and Win WSR primers. The bullet I'll be using is a Sierra 52gr HPBT Match. Which primer goes with TAC? Thanks.

rjrivero

A lot of purists will tell you to "follow the recepie."

However, when your choices are limited, you can start low and go slow until you reach maximum load without signs of pressure. I would start 10% below maximum load and increase by .5 grain to the maximum load. Look for signs of pressure in the primer and spent cases. If you start to see pressure, then back off to the next lowest load and start building by .1 grain. I hope that makes sense.

Ideally if you have a chronograph you can shoot over to check bullet velocities, then you will have another data point to make sure you are below maximum pressure.

oldcspsarge

Use either of the small rifle primers, not the small rifle magnum ............and you should be fire.

Match or bench rest primers may be a little more uniform and consistant in ignition but are very hard to find these days.

Start below max load and find what works best in your gun.

farmall

WSR, or Rem 71/2 has always worked for me. Federal small rifle too.
Never noticed it made any performance difference.

Andy

DiscoRacing

i load 34, 55, and 69 grain bullets in .223 with RamTac powder... i use both CCI and Winchester primers.... both seem to be close to the same results. .. I use 26 grain of powder with the 34 grain bullets,,,, and 25.5 with the other two bullet weights.

TATER

Blue Grass, If you are loading for an AR, It is better to use a harder primer. TAC is a ball powder, Use the CCI Magnums and drop your charge down a full grain. So, If the recipe calls for 26 grains of TAC. Use 25 grains.
HTH.

tkcomer

I sent Ramshot an E-mail on this as all I had on hand was CCI magnum primers and the web site said you didn't need to use them. They sent a reply saying that magnum primers were OK to use, just work the load up slowly. I've used the max load they published in 223 with no problems. Accuracy did seem to fall off in both the ARs I used with the bullets I tried when I got to the max loads. 52 and 69 SMKs.

rn22723

At one time Ramshot TAC data used CCI 450 for some of their load data in the 223. Now,it uses 205 NOT a 205M....check the data again......