Primer tray initiation

jepp2

Just curious if anyone has experienced having a tray of primers initiate? I have a carton of Winchester WSP primers where 61 primers in one tray initiated. Since I had used primers from the tray on top of it before and not noticed it, it might have happened while it was stored on my shelf.

A very good testimony to why you always want to keep primers stored in their original packaging until intended use. It was very well contained. But I can't help but wonder what would have happened if they had been stored in a glass jar, like I have seen pictures of occasionally.....

FrankenMauser

Interesting.

Call Winchester, explain the situation and storage methods, and see if they want to investigate the lot. Whether they care, or not, you'll probably get a voucher or coupon for some replacements.

The only unconventional detonations I've had were:
1. A primer that detonated when seated sideways (my hand prime tool is wearing out :().
2. A .22 WMR hull that detonated while seating a bullet (a known risk when working with rimfires :rolleyes:).

Shoney

I've never heard of the term "initiate or initiated" used to describe what happened with your primers. Do you mean ignition?

jepp2

I've never heard of the term "initiate or initiated" used to describe what happened with your primers. Do you mean ignition?

To me ignition, detonation, or initiation all mean about the same thing. We used the term initiated when surface or underground blasting with high explosives. Sorry if it is the wrong term for the describing what occurred with the primers.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
It does seem kind of miraculous that the whole box didn't go... I would be plenty worried about "spontaneous" ignition of primers for no apparent reason.

FrankenMauser

The term "initiated" seemed a bit off to me, as well. But, I gave it some thought while typing my previous post, and it really does seem to be the best fit when compared to similar terms.

What I really liked here, was that the "simple" plastic trays and cardboard slips did so well to prevent sympathetic ignition beyond the one tray.

Who cares? If you can't figure out what he meant by looking at the picture then you needa get yer eyes checked!

You must be the "Vocabulary Police".

dahermit

Quote:

Who cares? If you can't figure out what he meant by looking at the picture then you needa get yer eyes checked!

You must be the "Vocabulary Police".
Who cares? All educated, intelligent, non-dolts who wish to engage in effective communication. The others may content themselves with grunts and see how effective that is.

And yes, I am the vocabulary police.

dahermit

The original post begs the question: Just how were the primers ignited? was the box dropped? Was it "spontaneous combustion" with no apparent cause?

LOUD

Hey Guys , please tell me what you think happened to cause this ! Ive got way too many of these things and dont want this to happen where I have em stored..Thanks..... LOUD

All educated, intelligent, non-dolts who wish to engage in effective communication.

Well go ahead and look up the definition of the word "initiation" and you will see it is a perfect word for this application.

You are not a very good Vocabulary Officer if ya don't know what initiation means.

To the OP, I would call winchester. They may have some ideas.

Last edited:

jepp2

Any idea on the age of the primers?

How long has it been since you had the box open?

I got the primers 2 years ago from Power Valley.

The packaging, outer box, and case all were undamaged. I never dropped or subjected the carton to anything that should cause a primer to "go off". They were stored in a wooden cabinet well away from any electrical wiring.

It was so obvious to me when I opened the carton today, that I am sure I would have noticed it the first time, if I got them that way.

I first used some primers from the carton within the last 6 months.

Since I can't see anything after checking the Winchester website (regarding contact information), I will give Hodgdon a call tomorrow (since they distribute all the Winchester powder). If they don't handle the primers, maybe they can give me a contact.

serf 'rett

Guess I'll be inspecting the Powder Valley primers a gang of us just got in a couple of days ago.

Hope the Winchester folks will take a look at your primers - that's some odd stuff in the pictures. I'd be interrogating the wife/kids/dog/cat/etc. if I'd lost 61 precious primers.