Primer substitution

zippy13

The other day, I got a call from my new-to-reloading buddy: He's gone to the local Big-5 for some small pistol primers. The salesperson tells him that they are out of small pistol primers, why doesn't he just buy some small rifle primers and reduce the charge 10%? My buddy passed. Have you ever had a similar experience?

slugoo

I've reloaded almost 3,000 rounds with small rifle primers and used them in 38 and 9mm and only had 1 ftf, all worked great. They work the same as small pistol does for me.

m&p45acp10+1

I use them just the same. I did go to starting loads and worked up when I started using them. Now all I use is small rifle primers. I also load for 2 rifles so it makes things a whole lot easier when buying primers.

dacaur

I've read in magazines this is a bad idea, you know, places where its easy to track down the person who wrote it... Ive also seen plenty of people on the net say go for it, but never in print.... That tells me its not a good idea, but people still do it... Like driving without a seatbelt....:D
Basically, what I have gathered is that its not really a safety concern, i ts the fact that small rifle primers are harder than small pistol primers, so can cause FTF, especialy in striker fired guns. I like all my ammo to go boom when I pull the trigger, so I'll stick with small pistol for my pistol rounds....

m&p45acp10+1

dacaur I use smal rifle primers in my handgun loads that call for small pistol primers. Every single one has gone bang on the first strike in all 4 of the handguns I load with small primers. Three of those are striker fired semiauto's, one is revolver with a trigger job, and light springs.

I quit using small pistol primers when I could not find any during the post election shortage. I started with the starting loads and worked up.

Oh yea I also use magnum large pistol primers in .45 ACP loads. They fire every single time too. After 15,000 of them and still going I will use them till they are gone. Then I will not hesitate to use them again if they are all I can get.

dunerjeff

I load several calibers in rifle primers(both large and small) due to pressure requirements..40Super,400CorBon,ect. they use the same guns as 45ACP so are intended for pistol primers,haven't had a ftf yet.

dacaur

Yea i have heard lots of people say they work great. but I have heard a few people say they get FTF, add to that small pistol primers are cheaper.... I always keep a 1000 pack on hand in case I cant find any.... i guess if I absolutely couldn't find any I would use small rifle, but not on anything where life and limb is at stake....

and of course as always, go down 10% and work up...

Last edited:

jcwit

I load in the mid range, I will interchange small pistol for small small rifle with no problems. But not the other way around as the rifle calibers will have higher pressures and possibly cause pierced primers using pistol primers.

None of this would true with Large primers whether pistol or rifle as the height of the primers is different.