Primer Seating Question?

Jamie Young

I've been reloading some .223 rounds and I have a question. The Brass I'm using is once Fired Military brass, and every once in awhile, I have some trouble seating Primers. A few times the Primers went into the case, but little shavings of the primer came off. I've gotten the primers seated all the way in but I'm not sure if this is something to worry about?

Yeah. You've either got some crimped primer pockets in there, or you have some with tight pockets.

Either way, you should probably swage or ream ANY military .223 cases prior to first use.

ryucasta

I'll agree with Mike, military rounds are crimped the only way you can resolve this is either to swage them manually (Time Consuming) or purchase a Dillon 1050 progressive press (Expensive). The Dillon press has a station that will automatically swage the brass prior to inserting the primer. The only caveat that I’ll give you regarding the 1050 is that its the only press that Dillon does apply it no BS warranty too (1 year only) since they consider it a commercial press.

Jamie Young

The thing is they already have been swaged but some of them are a little tight. Do you think they are safe to shoot? I'm going to probable test a few out one at a time.

zanthope

RCBS has an all-purpose green handle...looks like a screwdriver handle. You can buy all kinds of brushes and reamers to fit the handle.
Small primer pocket reamer is all I use....the pair might be $10.00 or so.
Swagers are available at Dillon for about $70.00.

Bogie

IF you can get the primer in, they're safe to shoot.

Dillon's swager is nice.

However, RCBS sells a press-mounted dealie that works just as well, and is a lot cheaper.

Lyman sells a handle-mounted reamer that works pretty fair.

Personally, I'd go with the RCBS press mounted dealie...

ryucasta

I would suggest you just buy Midway’s fired 223 brass it already comes swaged and de primed and it all tends to be all Lake City head stamps.

It's been my experience that time is a commodity that I can’t replace so I don’t bother dealing with crimped brass any longer.

Ben Shepherd

I agree with zanthrope. Get the little hand-held rcbs unit. You can do a bucket of brass while you're watching your favorite t.v. show.

With practice you will be doing it by feel rather than sight. However this is about the only thing I'll do reloading-wise without paying 100% attention to, as it isn't super critical unless you're after match grade ammo.(But then you wouldn't be using the hand held unit either.)

ryucasta

Steve,

Thanks for pointing out SodaPop swaged comment, but I was already aware of it. If you had read earlier responses in the thread, you would have noticed that I gave him some advise on 2/12 and this was just a continuation of that earlier piece of advice.

I’m still of the opinion that’s it’s a waste of time to swage military brass unless your on a budget and time is not of the essence. BTW, thanks for the link to the Scharch website.