Primer removal

Tony Z

I've found a stash of cartridges I sized and primed (.22-250, .250-3000, .270) from at least the early 80's. Problem is I know storage was in areas that may have been moist or even wet.

How do I safely remove these unfired primers, as I don't want to take a chance at squib loads.

LE-28

Likewise 3rd and 4th posts; never had a problem.

and 5th post. Just push them out with low impact and you won't have any problems.

Slam them and your asking for it.

I push them out and re-use them, no problems.

Jim243

De-cap them as you would any spent primer, just use a little more care in doing so. Should not be a big problem. I would be sure to wear safety glasses and use gloves just to be on the safe side.

As to re-using them I would not. When they were first loaded into a case, you pushed the anvil into the primer material and it is ready for any kind of strike. My understanding it takes about 35 lbs of force to set them off. If you should accidentally crush one while re-seating it, it has the chance of going off. And depending on the method you use for seating primers, it then has a chance of setting all the other primers off at the same time as well in the tube or tray. That would not be a pretty picture, indeed.

Even at a cost of $40.00 a thousand, setting off 50 or 100 primers at the same time is not worth the $3.00 or $4.00 you would save by reusing them. Just dispose of them in a safe place and manor.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim

Tony Z

If I wanted to re-use them, I would not want to remove from the sized/prepped cases! The primers are questionable and I view it a false ecomony to waste powder and bullets. Primers will be discarded, cases ultrsonically cleaned, examined and then used if OK.

jetinteriorguy

Since your not trying to save the primers perhaps soaking them in water first would neutralize them so they won't go off by accident. Or maybe something else like a drop of oil on them would work.

j357

They will most likely work as is, but if you are worried, don't waste your time trying to 'neutralize' them. You will add a whole lot of wasted effort. Deprime the cases as usual. Dispose of the primers in an outside fire at a safe distance or simply pitch them in the trash.

cw308

How many rounds are we talking about, if your not going to load them shoot them for trigger time in a safe place, you'll have to clean your rifle. Then deprime clean & check your measurement's. Teach someone how to shoot, turn it into a fun thing. It wouldn't be fun popping those primers out or wasting the powder & bullets when the primers are iffy

TimSr

I'd chamber a handful and see if they fire, and suspect they probably will. Then I'd use the rest of them for non-critical target plinking loads.

A squib is usually from a primer that goes off, and powder that fails to ignite. A fail to fire is the likely failure of a bad primer, and not a squib.