Primer question ?

rebs

when loading 223 in Lake City brass for an AR have you guys found a difference in accuracy between using CCI BR-4 or CCI SRP's ?
Is the BR-4 a magnum primer ?

They are not military sensitivity primers. The CCI #41 would be your choice for a magnum primer that meets that specification. The Federal GM205MAR would be your choice for a match standard ignition level primer that meets that specification.

See this post for the Large Rife version.

rebs

since I have 4000 of the BR-4, I could use them in a different rifle, are they a magnum primer ?

RC20

We seldom see the BR type primers in anyone's offering.

Sometimes CCI BR2. I never saw any difference but that could be because my shooting is not good enough to see a difference.

If its there it seems to be below 1/2 MOA.

Cost wise they are a lot higher so I don't buy them as for my shooting there was no advantage.

David R

First, I am using a bolt gun in 223. I should have said so. I can see the difference in group size between Federal Match and standard small rifle primers.

Rebs I will gladly buy them if you are going to use something else.

David

T. O'Heir

"...are they a magnum primer?..." No. CCI says they're just made with greater QC.
I've never noticed any difference using a BR primer vs a regular primer out of my '03A4 though. You might if you're shooting actual Bench Rest rifles, but not in an AR or any other rifle.

P-990

What powder do you want to use them with? That will make a difference too. I used several thousand BR4s in LC brass with Varget when I was shooting Highpower. In an AR-15. There may have been a slight accuracy difference versus standard primers, but I couldn't give you hard numbers for proof. It gave me confidence and the ammo shot well, which is equally important.

I also liked Remington 7 1/2s. Used a couple thousand of those with Varget and RL15 as well. CCI400s and 450s were OK subs too. But stay away from the unplated Winchester Small Rifle primers. I pierced a lot of those at very mild load levels in my AR15. Replaced a couple of firing pins and a bolt due to them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hdwhit

rebs asked:
"...have you guys found a difference in accuracy between using CCI BR-4 or CCI SRP's ?"

Almost all of my .223 shooting is done within 200 yards and at that distance I have never noticed any material difference between CCIs Small Rifle, Small Rifle Magnum or BR-4 primers.

I don't doubt that the extra care CCI takes in making the BR-4 primers uniform makes a difference at longer distances for shooters who are skilled enough to exploit the advantage, but I am not one of those shooters.