Primer pocket

1Victor30

When using range brass, is it necessary to deprime the cases so that the pocket can be cleaned, or is it not a major issue? I know I am going get answers both ways, but have to ask!!

:confused:

Shootest

It would be wise to inspect the primer pocket on new and once fired brass that you have not reloaded before. It won’t take a long to deprime, clean the pocket if necessary and check the flash hole for burrs ect.

dahermit

When reloading with progressives and high volume, most handgun shooters do not bother. However, for rifles (which I do not shoot anywhere near as much as handguns, and still use a single-stage), I clean each primer pocket.
So, it comes down to, do you consider it worth the effort and time it takes to pull the case from the machine (in the case of a progressive), to clean the pocket, and put it back into the progressive? Most high-volume handgun shooters, competitors do not seem to think so or think that it makes any difference inasmuch as it does not seem to affect accuracy or build up any more than one firing does.

Lemmon

I agree with Weshoot2.... I see no need to clean pistol primer pockets but I do take the time to do clean the rifle primer pockets.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina

WESHOOT2

what I do

First, I don't make rifle ammo.

I don't clean primer pockets on used brass UNLESS I've pulled it off the XL650 shellplate for some other reason; then I might.

I use new cases for ammo that matters; know what I mean?