Primer pocket question

Wildshot

I was installing primers into 200 rounds of .223’s. 190 are Winchester and 10 are marked F C. The Winchester’s installed fine but the F C would not take a primer. I measured the primer pocket and found they were all over the place. 4 were in tolerance but on the edge of the low side. The other 6 were from .003 to .006 out of tolerance on the low side. Does anyone have an economical and quick fix for this problem? If not, I am just going to throw them away. Not going to waste time and effort for 10 casings.

Last edited:

jepp2

Sounds a lot like the FC primers were crimped in.

You need to remove the crimp. Lots of options exist to do this.

res45

For 10 cases just take the Chamfer end of your chamfer/deburring tool,place the tip in the primer pocket and give it a couple twist with just enough pressure to remove the crimp from the primer pocket.

If your like me an may do a hundred cases here and there I use the tool from Hornady,you can by the kit as pictured or you can buy each part individually. If I have a lot of cases to do I just chuck the cutter up in my cordless drill and they go pretty quickly. The cutter also fit the RCBS small tool handle as well.
804809.jpg

The RCBS primer pocket swager or Dillon super swedger are good setups as well if you have a large quantity of cases to do.

Wildshot

Went out to the shop and looked in my "catch-all almost never use box" and there was a metal chamfering bit of the right size. 9 out of the 10 took a primer. on the tenth one, the primer pocket was not deep enough and the primer protruded fron the case. I threw that case away. End of story. Thanks for the advise.