Primer issues in new gun

themalicious0ne

I recently built a new 300 blackout pistol. Monday was the first day I was able to take it out due to our frigid weather here in Wisconsin. (It was actually a poor choice since the windchill took the temp down to maybe the teens)

Anyways, I had some cycling issues that I do not believe was due to the temperature. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the ammo but beyond that I don't know whether I am having gun pressure issues or a bad lot of ammo.

While at the range I purchased some armscore 147gr 300 blackout ammo. While shooting I had a double feed and several failures to eject. I actually discovered the root of one of the issues when I had to fight to get a case out of the chamber after firing and having a double feed. The issue was that a primer fell out of a spent case and jammed in the internals. After I was done shooting I found another primer rattling around inside the gun. Total, I had 3 primers, that I found, that had fallen out of my spent brass and into the gun.

Examining the spent brass, the rims on many of the casings had dings but no bulges, split cases, or punctures in the primers. I have never had primers fall out before and don't know if my gun is over pressured or if the primers on this type of ammo are just not pressed in well. If anyone has any idea please let me know your thoughts.

Overall the gun shot amazing. Not as much recoil as I expected and I shot 3- 3 shot groups into 2moa with that ammo using iron sights at 100 yards off a bench. I couldn't believe it. Shot a 3 shot string after I zeroed , checked the spotting scope and see maybe 1.5 moa and fired 2 more 3 shot groups for a total of 9 shots into 2moa. I called it good and packed it up.

Edit: gun is a PSA 8.5" 300blk with pistol gas, troy irons and thordsen cheek rest.

Last edited:
Maybe take a look at the other primers to see if they have "flattened" primers or signs of pressure as well. Pressure can be caused by ammo or chamber/barrel related issues. You could be getting setback issues. One way to determine if you are having setback issues is to use a caliper to measure the length of several projectiles and write the OAL on the case, then chamber and extract them without firing while at range, and measure them again. Do you know if it was for sure a double feed and not a failure to extract followed by it attempting to load into of the other cartridge that was still in the chamber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)

CarJunkieLS1

Get a different brand of ammo and try that. If you are having primers fall out that's either bad ammo, bad primers, pressure, or head spacing. Try another brand and see.

stagpanther

May or may not be the ammo or gun. One "net guess possibility":) might be your "dwell time" of the case is still while it's expanded to the chamber when the bolt attempts to extract it, getting it only partially out while cycling back and stripping the next round. I'd get a "plane jane middle of the road" commercial load and load just one cartridge into the mag first and see if it also fails to successfully extract/eject. If so, probably something needs to be adjusted with the weapon would be my guess.

Last edited:

tangolima

Armscor ammo has tendency to drop out spent primer. The brass is too soft, I think. I had that head scratcher when I got my m1 carbine. I thought I had excessive headspace, and took me quite some doing to figure it out.

Not again will I buy their ammo, as I handload everything I ever shoot.

-TL

themalicious0ne

Thanks guys. Like I said, I can't tell yet whether it is cycling issues because the hangups were when the primer fell out. I figure first steps first and find why the primer is falling out. After I will look into the cycling if there are cycling issues.

I will try other ammo. I am not concerned yet as there did not seem to be any catastrophic issues and I only ran 40 rounds through. Just thought I would check to see if it could be the ammo or if it was something else I should be concerned about.

stagpanther

About 90% of the time I have an issue with cycling in my AR builds it usually has at least partially, if not fully, something to do with pressure in the gas system and how the parts "play" with it.:) Pistol gas systems are a little trickier than a carbine/rifle system in that they often deliver a "sharper impulse hit" quicker (shorter tube). I have a 260 rem that I've been playing musical parts with for the past year and could never get it to work 100% with every load I've used--today I finally pulled the barrel assembly apart and installed an adjustable gas block--so far no issues with the varied types of loads I fire. Something to consider (probably should check your block alignment anyway if you continue to have similar issues with different ammo)--I'm assuming you already have checked your headspace and that it is within safe parameters.