Primer experiment

chris in va

First off let me say I don’t advise or suggest anyone else try this, it was my own experiment.

We all know primers are gone, and SPP are getting burned up the fastest. Fortunately I have some leftover S&B SRP and did some caliper measurements. Surprisingly everything is identical to my CCI SPP including cup thickness, so I loaded up a few and knowing the rifle primers are ‘hotter’, downloaded the charge a bit.

Primers all seated flush or slightly below in 9mm and 45 with small primer pockets. Guns used are CZ 97b custom, P01 with lighter hammer spring, stock P365 and new Citadel 1911.

The P01 didn’t have enough ‘oomph’ to hit the primer hard enough, so multiple light strikes. Same with the 97b, the 365 surprisingly lit most but one in ten didn’t make it. I guess least surprising is the 1911, zero FTF.

As I said, just an experiment with the shortage happening. The S&B SRP cup is not thicker, but made of a harder material and obviously has more energy for lighting difficult rifle powders.

USSR

Yep, SRP's can be used in place of SPP's. Worse case scenario is the hammer spring is not strong enough to set them off reliably as you found out.

Don

Your 1911, if it followed the original design, has a military spec firing pin energy level. A lot of commercial weapon makers seem to determine adequate springs by cut and try, but the military actually has a gauge that is like a headspace GO gauge with a flat bottom primer pocket without a flash hole. They drop a calibrated copper slug into it and measure how far the slug is indented by the firing pin to determine energy.

Interesting about the S&B cups. Have you pulled the anvils out of fired ones to measure the thickness of the bottom of the cups? The thickness of the sides of the cup can be controlled somewhat independently of the bottom thickness in order to make a common anvil design fit all.

rc

I'm using Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primers for 38 super. Kimber fires them fine. Get a stronger mainspring so you have at least one gun that will run the primers you have.

buck460XVR

Yep, SRP's can be used in place of SPP's. Worse case scenario is the hammer spring is not strong enough to set them off reliably as you found out.

Don

^^^This. It's not a new thing, happens every-time we have a component shortage. While I would not hesitate to use SR in a handgun, I'd hesitate to use SP in a rifle for fear of pieced primers and damage to the bolt face.

74A95

Many IPSC and USPSA competition shooters use small rifle primers in the high pressure 9mm Major and 38 Super loads. I used SRP (usually Federal) in all my 38 Super loads when I competed and still use them today for various 9mm and 38 Super loads.

chris in va

Unfortunately I don't have a micrometer so can’t measure the strike face thickness. Wouldn’t surprise me if that part is thicker.

ciwsguy

Interesting post. I've thought about doing this with the small stock of Remington 6-1/2 Small Rifle Primers in my possession since they are not supposed to be used for .223 or other higher pressure rounds. Would use them in .38 Special, .380ACP or 9X19 loads.

Geezerbiker

During the first primer shortage I found that my S&W revolvers would set of small rifle primers no problem.

I also prefer them for the Makarov. That gun doesn't have a spring around the firing pin and when used as a carry gun, the top 2 rounds would get cycled in and out every time I cleared the gun and the primers would get marks on them less than dimples but just enough to concern me. Later on I took a knife sharpening stone to the firing pin to flatten out the tip a bit. That also helped since a slightly larger and flatter end would be hitting the primer. Reshaping the end of the pin made no difference in shooting the gun but I was prepared to replace it if it did...

Tony

Shadow9mm

Well, I had been thinking about doing this the last few months as a backup. I watered down a load to test. Got cci and Winchester SRP to test. Testing in a 5th gen Glock 19, and Ruger LC9s, hopefully sometime this weekend. Will let you know if it works. It might be worthwhile compiling a list of what guns have enough spring to set off different brands of SRPs.

satnaloke

Has anyone testfired SRP filled 9mm rounds in a Baretta 92FS. I have almost a brick of SRP but like everyone no SPP. I have a H&K P30 SK and the Baretta and a lot of prepped 9mm cartridges waiting reload.

rc

I have been loading 38 super with no issues in a 1911 with unique. I don't think the primers are really much stronger and medium to slow powders should work just fine with them. I do think the cups are thicker. If your guns set them off and you have them, you will be ok. I would load a medium warm test load and work up to max. If you have a chronograph to reach a target velocity, you should be good.

Shadow9mm

Has anyone testfired SRP filled 9mm rounds in a Baretta 92FS. I have almost a brick of SRP but like everyone no SPP. I have a H&K P30 SK and the Baretta and a lot of prepped 9mm cartridges waiting reload.
I might have a friend that has one. I will have to ask. If he will let me I will test in his gun.

rc

What would stop you from seating a primer and chambering it. I would load 10 rounds and try them.