Primer Blowing Off While Seating

ShootingNut

As I am seating primers with my Lee Safety Prime setup on my Classic Turret, I wonder if anyone has ever had one blow off while seating.:eek:
As you know, some seat slicker than snot, others kind of crunch into place. I never force it, and sometimes move the casing just a tad in the shellholder for smoother seating.
If one being seated blew off, could it detonate the others in the feeding tube?
I wear safety glasses when seating, no ear protection though.
Anyone with a bad experience?

kellyj00

Are you using the safety prime? I have used mine for a lot of pistol rounds, not an issue yet....and I force the living snot out of them sometimes. I always look away if I have to force them.

As a note, this is how I use my lee 4 hole turret (non-classic) I take my left hand, grab a casing, put in shell holder. Then I raise the ram with my right, my left follows in to put a primer from the primer feeder into the primer arm thingy that's sits in the groove in the ram. Then, I start to lower the ram and I GRAB THE BACK OF THE PRESS for leverage! Seriously, I put a heck of a lot of force on some primers, and not a single issue yet. Haven't worn safety glasses in a long time, but if I'm getting a lot of resistance I do look away.

Crosshair

Never had one with my LEE and I have really FUBAR's primers with that thing. (Primer pocket of case was deformed.) But if it did, it would have the explosive force of a firecracker. Basic protective eyewear will be enough to protect you.

Wild Bill Bucks

I loaded some rounds for a 300 Win Mag that the guy before me had over loaded. The primer pockets were so loose that the primer would not stay in them. If they load to "slicker than snot" it may be a sign of over charging, and I would chunk the brass. The crunch you are feeling may be from the primer pocket not being completely clean. I try to make sure to ream mine out a little before I load, and occasionally I will miss one or two, and thats when I get that crunching feel.

I try to load my primers until they are even with the back of the case. If you push them to far in the pocket, sometimes your firing pin will have trouble reaching them. If you don't push them in far enough, they will try to hang in the chamber. A primer should go in the pocket with just a little pressure, but it should not require any massive amount of pressure, remember your not bolting down the heads on a 57 chevy, your just wanting the primer to seat properly.:)

kellyj00

I agree with the other posts.... if you're putting a lot of pressure behind it, you're probably not cleaning your pockets.

I have yet to clean a single pistol cartridge pocket... frankly, I just like to shoot and I have yet to have a single issue related to a 'dirty' primer pocket.

Just another one of those extra steps in reloading that I've disregarded....Just like buying a reloading manual.

SDC

If you treat them roughly enough, they certainly CAN fire, and in a worst-case scenario, a whole BUNCH of them can fire at once; I've seen pictures of more than one "primer tube detonation" that ends up sending 60 or 70 primers into the roof all at once. But, it takes a heck of a shock to do something like this, so if you feel anything different or unusual during the primer-seating stroke, just take a close look at it before you get vigorous on the lever. I've seen plenty of primers seated SIDEWAYS without going off, so you don't need to be paranoid, just respectful of the amount of power in those little cups.

Schmeisser

I never had that problem when I seated bullets. But one primer (WLR) went off when I pulled a bullet using the RCBS hammer. The primer went into the air like a tracer. Luckily enough nothing happened. As I found out later, the primer pocket was loose (Fed. case) and the impact of the hammer forced the primer out. I should have discarded the case earlier.

crowbeaner

Different primer makes have just a little different diameter and therefore seat with a little more effort involved. If your primer goes in with no effort at all then you may have expanded the pockets a little. There should be two different "feels" when you seat the primer; the first is the initial seating and the second is the little crunch when you compress the anvil and the mixture. Some primers really have to be seated with some effort to be sure they are bottomed out in the pocket; most notable to me are the WW brand as the anvil actually sticks out of the primer unlike say a CCI or RP. I have seated uncounted thousands and never had one go pop yet. I seat them with the bullet seating die screwed into the press about 3 full turns so that in the rare event of the POP the flash will go into the die and down instead of up and into my safety glasses. Just my $.02. Enjoy. CB.

bfox

Hi
I have never had one go off in a classic turret .
Did have one go off in a Loadmaster .
Other than scaring the crap out of me
no damage .
Scarred the plastic a bit but didn't even damage
the primer slider .

Bill

WESHOOT2

if not running the XL650

I use (a pair of) RCBS hand-priming tools, one for each size (USED TO USE LEE product but broke both during same session; I WAS making alotta ammo :D that day).

Recommend (heard good things about the Hornady version, too).

Why?

Because you can batch-prime your sized cases BETTER with one......

Not just safer, but better.

TEDDY

Pulling Bullets

I recomend the hornady bullet puller to pull rifle bullets.some day you may pull military tracer or explosive rounds.I am pulling 223 range pickups???some are tracer (no paint on tips)----:confused:---:eek:

Sevens

I don't think tracer ammo is anything out of the ordinary to pull with a kinetic (hammer type) puller. It's just a cap on the base of the bullet that melts and burns something... phosphorus, maybe?

SDC

Ditto; most forms of tracer ammo (other than WP "smoke tracers", which are long obsolete and are only seen in WW2 and earlier rounds) are fine to pull with a hammer. Explosive ammo is rare at the best of times, and is only seen in a few calibres.

BluesBear

I've pulled hundreds of Tracer and Incendiary Tracer bullets with my trusty Quinnetics pullers. Tracers offer no danger whatsoever.

When I pull incendiary or other explosive bullets I just shove a couple of cotton balls inside the puller head to cushion them when they pull. I also do that with any spitzer match bullets when I'm concerned about tip deformation.

BluesBear

I've been thinking about this thread and I want to appologize to ShootingNut for my contribution to topic drift. It happens all too often on too many topics on so many forums and lately I have caught myself getting involved way to often. I'm trying hard to be more respectful to those posters who deserve it.

The original post asked about primer detonation.

For many years I loaded commercially.
Combining that with 32 years of personal reloading, I've loaded well over 3 million rounds of handgun ammunition. SO far I've never had a primer detonate and I've used just about every method of priming there is. Currently all of my priming is done with an RCBS hand priming tool. I like being able to feel the primer seat and the RCBS unit is much more durable than the Lee tools I used to use.
I've primed over 75,000 with my current RCBS tool wheras my Lees needed rebuilding or replacement after about 25K-30K. But I digress, this post isn't about hardware.

Anyway...
One sentence in the original post has been bouncing around in my brain.
As you know, some seat slicker than snot, others kind of crunch into place.
I was at the range the other day, handing a shooter a box of .38 Special S&B ammo he had just purchased and he remarked that he'd never used it before and asked if it was any good. I remarked that I liked it and that so far we had received no complaints about it. He then asked if the "empties" were any good for reloading so I had to tell him the truth.

My answer was, "Yes and No."

Yes, it's pretty good brass. I've reloaded a lot of it over the past six or seven years. Especially recently. I've got some S&B .45acp that's been reloaded so many times that the headstamps are almost completely erased. I've got several hundred S&B .44 Magnum cases that're on their 10th loading and some .38 special that are closing in on 20. In my book that's good performance.
But I added the "No" because it does have one slight problem.

Or should I say one tight problem. In some lots the primers are, shall we say, a little bit on the snug side. You can notice it during depriming. It takes just a little more effort on the handle and the primers come out really "domed".
Now I've had some lots that deprimed and then reprimed just fine.
I've had some lots where the new primers "crunched into place".
And before I caught on to the problem I even had a few that just plain crunched.
I really hate having 100 bright and shiney cases, 100 bullets and only 97 primers. :eek:
Now over the years, I've also had repriming problems happen once or twice with MagTech (CBC) and probably four or five times with PMC (usually the older lots). Sellier & Bellot however is by far the biggest culprit. I don't know if they are crimping the primers in place or if they just have different ideas about primer pocket specifications and tolerances, but sometimes repriming them is downright tricky. Or at least it used to be.
Nowadays, as a matter of course, I treat all of my once fired S&B brass to a ride on my RCBS primer pocket swager.*
Now when reloading S&B cases my primers "seat slicker than snot" on a brass brothel doorknob. Which as you all know is almost as slick as the scum on a Lew-eazy-ana swamp.

*I've also used an RCBS deburring tool to chamfer the edge of the pockets on some S&B cases that were prone to crunching primers. Afterwards they primed much easier but still felt just a little snug.
Swaging the pockets seems to be the best solution as well as being much easier on my hands.
All in all I'd rather have the pockets too tight and need swaging than to have them too loose and dealing with the associated problems.

I hope this info is helpful to ShootingNut and everyone else.

ShootingNut

Bluesbear

Quote:
I've been thinking about this thread and I want to appologize to ShootingNut for my contribution to topic drift.

No need to appologize, it does happen very easy to all of us.
Thank you for the posts, if found them to be very informative and interesting.
Regards,
SNut
PS:
How do you all get a "quote" into the white box?

ShootingNut

Mal H

Thank you my friend, enjoy your labor day whatever is on your agenda!;)

ShootingNut - you did that just to show you can go into 4 wheel thread drift with the best of them, didn't you?

Hey, it works!:eek: