Primer/Ammo shortage: An end in sight?

ClemBert

I placed a $700 order back on March 22nd of this year for a number of items from Cabelas. This included a Walker, 5lbs of smokeless (blasphemy) powder, 3000 primers, etc. The items were shipped to me piecemeal. 6 shipments so far for the 11 items I ordered. The most recent shipment was yesterday for 1000 Winchester large pistol primers. They still owe me 1000 Winchester small pistol primers. That's the final item and that'll make it 7 shipments for 11 items total.

I'm not complaining. The nice thing about Cabelas is they ship unstocked items as soon as they get them in without charging you additional shipping...unlike MidwayUSA. As good luck would have it Cabelas though some sort of credit card authorization problem failed to bill me the $19.95 shipping fee and the $20 HAZMAT fee. How these guys are making money off of me, on this order, is beyond me.

Well, now that I have my large pistol primers on the way I can get ready to load up some more 45 Colt black powder loads. Wow, 4 months for Cabelas to get those large pistol primers in...the same ones that were on sale when I ordered them. Perhaps this is an indication the primer/ammo shortage is coming to an end. We'll see if those small pistol primers find their way here soon. Over 4 months to fill an order must be getting to be a record for Cabelas.

Jbar4Ranch

Still hit or miss, but getting better. Two days ago, I bought 10,000 Federal small pistol primers at a local retail sporting goods store for $24.99/1000.

Kadmos

Seems like it has gotten a lot better in the last few months, but it may be that we are using it up before it gets that far south;)

Local Cabelas and most of the smaller shops not just have primers in stocks, but the prices have come down a bit. CCI 500's seem to have gone from an average of $36 per 1000 to about $29.

The stores definitely have a better selection than they did, the more common ammo is once again in giant stacks

ClemBert

Yeah, Cabelas has been trying to push those CCI primers on me for months now since they were unable to immediately fill my order for Winchesters. They offered to do an even swap but I believe, as you stated, the CCI primers are less expensive. I wasn't in a hurry so I pushed back on them.

Oddly, I just checked the Cabelas website and they are out of the Winchester large pistol primers. Looks to me that they probably get a case of those in, fill a few back orders, then tell people on the wait list that the wait will continue. For me they've been doing that for months. Guess my magic number just happened to come up yesterday.

CajunPowder

CLEMBERT !

We wouldn't want you to get in trouble with the postal POleece ... so we've all taken a vote, and we are gonna take the fall for you!

Send me the powder and primers and I won't ... say a word about Cabela's insensitive oversight on the additional charges.

I know ya'll will miss me when I disappear over the weekend ... (but I'll send a range report).
:D

Crosshair

What shortage? Primers and ammo have been plentiful for quite awhile now here I live. The local Cabela's has .223 for $200 per 1K. The local Scheels has a whole display case full of primers.

g.willikers

Crosshair,

That's because there ain't hardly anyone up thar to buy 'em.
And most of the year, it's too danged cold to go outside and use 'em.
Send some of that stuff down south, please.

ClemBert

Cabelas prices for 1000 large pistol primers:

$29.99 CCI

$32.99 Winchester

What a great deal that Jbar got on his Federal primers.