Pricing Help on an H&K 91

Lurch37

I'm contemplating the purchase of a very nice condition H&K 91A2. It has a factory bipod that is near the mag well and swivels somewhat, the dealer said that it is like a G3 type bipod. Other than that, it is very good condition. As you can tell, I'm fairly clueless about this other than I like quality stuff.

I was wondering what one might be worth? Or if anyone has seen one sell or have boughten one recently? The dealer is asking $2200.

hkg3

The dealer is asking $2200

That sounds about right for an original “Made in Germany” HK91. Arguably one of the best .308 black rifles ever made. If you got the money, go for it! :cool:

Lurch37

It is an original "Made in Germany" item hkg3 and thank you for your reply. Anything else I should be looking at on this particular model? Thanks

copenhagen

Lurch37:

I too like quality stuff. I had considered an HK91, but decided to go with the PTR91 after hearing from a number of people who either owned or had fired both that the quality was perhaps better than the original HK. Now I would love to own an actual HK myself, but if you are interested in saving the money and having enough for another rifle, I only paid $1100 for my PTR91 KFM4... New in the Box. :D

I have a couple pictures of it in this thread:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302652&page=2

Destructo6

The HK "heavy" bipod, that attaches to the trunion and folds forward, is worth about $400, when you can find them. It requires the use of the slimline/tropical forearm.

That said, $2200 is a bit steep. If you are buying it for collecting/reselling purposes, I'd venture $1800-$1900 is more reasonable. You might check HKPRO and sturmgewehr.com for the going rates, though.

If you're buying to shoot, the PTR makes a lot more sense.

Slamfire

If you're buying to shoot, the PTR makes a lot more sense.

I agree with that. You can get a PTR 91 new for $900.00. The HK will continue to rise in collector's value, as they will not be imported again, but you need to keep it in like new condition. Lose half the finish and lose half the value, or something like that for collectables.

HOGGHEAD

H&K91

I have three of them(they are sitting next to my 92's, 93's, and 94's).I bought them in 1988 when you could buy them brand new for $700. I also bought the claw scope mounts. One is a shooter and the other two are new in the box, and put away in my gun vault. I thought they were going to be a good investment. I was right. I call the rifles I bought between 1987 and 1991 my retirement policy. The government knows nothing about the rifles, and I can sell them for cash. Sorry but I hope the price keeps going up.

One thing to look for is does the rifle have the scope mount. I have heard the H&K mounts are going for over $300. Tom.

SOSARMS

Actually the price is fairly close to actual selling at this time assuming that it is in 95% or better condition. The least that i've paid is or was, is 1800, and the highest 2300. Have 7 of them in 41 43 91 93 &94 with various options. I doubt if the prices will drop in the future, but there are lots of them in personal collections.

AK103K

It is an original "Made in Germany" item hkg3
Is it a G3 or a HK 91? A "real" G3 is a select fire weapon, the 91's were/are the semi auto version of them made by HK.

I had two HK 91's, bought them new back in the 80's for around $5-600 each.

Both had bipods, but they were mounted to the tropical handguard, and they were mounted forward near the front of the handguard, and folded rearward. They were not adjustable and actually, pretty annoying to shoot with, especially when folded. They were to high to shoot with except in rare instances where the ground in front of you fell away. I usually took them off the guns.

I also had a port buffer on each, and its an item you want if you plan on reloading. I stops those nasty dents in the cases.

I had carry handles too, but like the bipods, they got little use.

I had both commercial HK claw mounts and ARMS claw mounts. The HK mounts are expensive and have the rings attached. They are limiting in use, and unless you like the German way of mounting a scope, that is, to far rearward and to high, they pretty much suck. The ARMS mount is much more versatile and just as reliable as the HK mounts. They are also about half the price.

I sold both my rifles about ten years ago now. Both sold for right around $2000 each then, and that was for the guns with the carry handles, port buffers and one mag. I sold the HK claw mounts for close to $400 each.

$2200 today seems like a decent price, if it is an HK. I've seen a few selling for $3000+ with no real accessories.

Lurch37

Guys...thanks for all the opinions. Just to clarify, it is a HK 91A2, made in Germany, it has the heavy bipod that folds forward like Destructo6 is talking about and has the slimline. It is in what I would call near mint condition, no claw marks or any scratches at all. It does not have a carry handle. Also, I did look around Gunbroker and checked their past auctions, and it seems like the $2200 this one is selling for is inline with what other 91's are going for.

I stopped by today and had my Dealer guy hold it overnight so I could decide if I want it, which will give me some time to go through the safe and see what I would have to sell to raise a littel more cash.

Thanks again!

HOGGHEAD

Cartridges

308, 223, 9mm, 45 ACP.

I bought the rifles from the H&K rep. who sold to a large police dealer in BG, KY. I once had the opportunity to buy a set of MP5's with the shoulder straps. It was the complete setup. The BG police dept. used the MP5's at the indoor range. So they were used. I sure wish I had the money to buy them, but at the time I did not have the money. I have heard about some ridiculous prices these rifles are selling for now. I do not know if it is true or not, but i have heard the complete set could bring as much as $25,000. Tom.