Prices on Colt King Cobra

joshua

As I notice that prices on King Cobras are getting up there. Are these guns really worth the money? They were suppose to be the poor man's Python, but with the current prices of old guns spiking up I'm not so sure. Where do you see the prices on the King Cobras in the future? If you have one in 95% condition with all the box and papers would you shoot it?

3-fitty-7

i can't say where prices are or where they'll be but i say definately shoot it, that's what they are made for. i have a .45LC anaconda on layaway and i definately plan on shooting it. even if i found a brand new unfired python i would still shoot it! i never got the whole "safe queen" thing.

bayouboy

Are they worth the money? I've seen them from $450 and up. The 4 and 6 inch guns are pretty common, the shorter barrels are rare. The only comparable guns out there now are the Ruger GP and S&W's and you'll pay as much if not more for one of those. The King Cobra was built like a tank, meant to be a used as a duty weapon. I doubt you could wear one out in a lifetime shooting with regular maintenance. If a gun is already 95% that seems to imply it has already been fired. Shooting with regular cleaning should't change its value at all. With Colts, the new unfired guns are the ones bringing the big bucks.

guns382.jpg

joshua

Yup! $450 is when the bidding starts, looks like most are asking $600 and up for a nice one w/ box and papers. I'm in CA too. I suppose that brings in another premium due to our sad gun regulations.

GUNKWAZY

Are they worth the money? I've seen them from $450 and up.

If you're finding them for $450 you better be buying 'em.
Those prices are pretty much gone.
I'm going to have to agree with the $600 and up being the norm.
Some new in box King Cobras are topping the charts at around $1000-$1200 depending on condition, finish & barrel length.
They can be found in Blue, Stainless or Bright Stainless and in 2.5, 3 (not standard production),4, 6 & 8 inch Tubes. 4 & 6 being the most common.
Then there's always the Combat Cobra & Custom Cobra (fat wallet is required)

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

BillCA

The blued models are commanding a premium over the more common stainless guns now. I missed a chance at one at a local store just recently and am somewhat regretting it. But then, I'd just dropped nearly $1k on buying two other guns I wanted. :D

What is the King Cobra? Essentially it is the frame of a Trooper Mk V with a slightly "improved" action mated to a full lug barrel with a solid rib on top. It replaced the older Trooper models. Colt's barrels were known for their accuracy (usually slugging out at .356) so this has the potential to be (like the older Trooper Mk III's) a "poor man's Python". Examples I've fired were very accurate, despite the typical stacking of the Colt action. Rapid fire was very good, but not as fast as my S&W's.

If you find a King Cobra under $600, buy it. They're only going up in price. I'd shoot it very sparingly only because spare parts are getting harder to come by.

gmoney

A local gunshop in my area has the Colt King Cobra 6" , blued, adj. sights,very nice for sale $599.95

GUNKWAZY

The blued models are commanding a premium over the more common stainless guns now.

Depends on the stainless. If it's Bright stainless, most of the time the Bright will win over the Blue in the price battle.
There was a lot less blue ones mfg over all though.
Here's some recent bright stainless prices on all 3 barrel lengths.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90991026

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92605327

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93785528

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

parrothead2581

I got my bright SS KC in 2006 for $500. It looked NIB, but it didn't come with the box. I still haven't shot it.

The shop also had a SS Anaconda in .45 Colt for, if I remember correctly, $550. Still kicking myself that I didn't get that one.....

joshua

Wow! Back in the days when an old friend told me that Colt Pythons will be like gold in mint condition. Same old friend when he said Blued P&R S&W will go up in price. He never mentioned about the King Cobras going up, but he said they are great guns and can't believe they are not charging more for them. Well I got one of the SS 6" with all the papers and box for it. I do intend to shoot it, but in a more nostalgic way. I'm still looking for a S&W 686 6" pre-lock/pre MIM. Once I complete my trio 6" SS 357 line up, I'll bring the GP100, King Cobra and 686 for some shooting at the range kind of like a trip down the good old years of the 80s. I'll be cranking Journey on the way to the range and back too. :D

ASERO45ACP

Regrets!!!!!

I had a Colt King Cobra 6 inch barrel 18 years ago and sold it at the Gun Show. New to this forum and finding out some of the guns I sold wish still have them, at the time my wife and I was just starting out new born baby and I was 21 years old. I found some pictures three of the guns I sold wish I could have them back. Browning Hi Power Practical, Springfield Mil Spec and Colt King Cobra.

Just before I found this forum I sold my S&W model 10-6 never fired the gun since I acquired the gun.

Attachments

• DSCF0227.jpg
    DSCF0227.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0228.jpg
    DSCF0228.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0229.jpg
    DSCF0229.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 64

thinkingman

I think the King Cobra is a great piece but not really better than a 686.
My bro in law has both in 6" and I have a 4" 686 and except for the Colt name, don't see a difference.
I see these Colt prices and wonder who's paying them?
I would buy a Trooper III right now but I just don't see why you'd pay a premium over a 686.
Rugers are fine but I'm just not a fan of castings.

laytonj1

I see these Colt prices and wonder who's paying them?
I would buy a Trooper III right now but I just don't see why you'd pay a premium over a 686.

Collectors.
If S&W was to discontinue the 686 tomorrow, watch what would happen to the prices on them...

Jim