Price on used Winchester 94

croyance

I found a Winchester 94 30-30 for $160 used. The reciever seems to be in good condition, although if it had a finish on it, it doesn't anymore. The stock has some dings and scratches on it, but nothing major. The finish on the wood seems fine.

Is this a good price? I am just starting to learn rifle, and this seems like a good choice after the .22 LR. I really don't hunt yet, so the low cost is appealing.

vanfunk

a 1940 Winchester 94 .30-30 was my first centerfire rifle, given to me by my grandfather. The 94 is a wonderful, handy little gun, made all the better if you have a romantic appreciation for lever guns. Once I gained proficiency with it, I could lob 170 grainers into 4 inches at 100 yards with that ol' buckhorn sight. The blue often diappears from the receivers of the old guns, due I believe to the high nickel content of the alloy. They are light and will give the shooter a slap in the shoulder, but it is not at all punishing if the piece is shouldered correctly. Everyone should have a Winchester .30-30!
vanfunk

Oops, sorry, I didn't comment on the price. $160 seems fine. If you're willing to spend a little more, say $225, you can get one in better shape (which may or may not be important to you).

[Edited by vanfunk on 05-20-2001 at 03:57 PM]