Price on older Taurus M96 .22?

VictorLouis

I just came across one of these NIB. I've never seen one before, but it looks like a 6rd. S&W M18(?) K-frame .22. It has a 6" tube with unshrouded ejector, and a solid set of broad, partridge type target sights. The entire top is serrated from the front sight back to the rear. There's a wide serrated TT, TH and wood target grips. A spare set of Uncle Mike's style rubber grips are included. The blueing, fit and action are top-shelf, like an older Smith. He is asking $300 + tax, and I just don't know if that's reasonable. What do you all think?

Ezeckial

That is rather high. I'd offer $200.00.

As an example, I purchased a S&W .22 Model 17 in really excellent condition for $250.00.This was about 4 months ago.

I am a real Taurus fan (own 3 revolvers), so don't think I'm putting down Taurus!

VictorLouis

Yes, I contacted another owner via e-mail, and that's what was pointed out. I'd still like to hear from anyone who may own one. Perhaps I will come across one at a show that is more realistically priced.

Matt VDW

I have a Taurus M96.

As you noted, it's a nice revolver. The biggest problem I've had with mine is that no one makes target stocks for it.

Blue Heeler

I bought a one owner and little-used S&W Model 17,blue with 6in barrel--paid US$350 (Mind you--this is Australia).I am very pleased with it,and they are quite rare here.What I particularly like about it is that it is identical in shape etc.to both the M14 .38 and M16 .32.For practice it means all the same feel(except for recoil--not a bad thing really it can cure any tendency to flinch)and no need to reload for practice ammo.It comes with standard walnut finger grooved grips,which are pretty good.
If the Taurus has the same K Frame square butt then you can get a very good set of grips for it from Brownells>They are Made by Bill Davis and are solid rubber(no squish)-They are catalogued as Davis BD-L and sell for US$16.95--I like them better than anything else and have a pair fitted to a custom .38--If master gunsmiths fit them they've got to be good.