Price check: S&W M13 3"

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
A dealer pal mentioned he's taken in a "minty" S&W M13 3" RB, pinned & recessed, no box or documents. He has it priced at $325 but can often be talked down slightly. He's bringing it to a meeting tomorrow evening and I'll see it there. I've done a lot of business with this dealer, and his condition descriptions are usually spot on.

So, question is - - is this a fair market value on such a piece?

Thanks
Johnny

HSMITH

Johnny, where I am that gun would be $425-475 if really mint. Even with some miles on it I would grab it in a heartbeat for $325.

Marko Kloos

Not just yes, but hell yes. That's a very desirable model variant that's very hard to come by these days. If I could get a minty 3" Model 13 for three-and-a-quarter, I'd jump on it.

If you feel daring, offer him three bills on the spot, and be happy if he takes it.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Many thanks, all y'all

Good input.

I'll confer with my SWMBO. I hope to carry three cientos and a bit with me tomorrow evening.

A few months ago, I picked up a 3" RB M65 which is a pretty nifty sidearm. But I sure like the ol' blue resolvers . . .

Johnny

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Well, I bought it.

Okay, turns out it is a M13-2, S/N 8D47XXX, which indicates 1981 production. My dealer friend, name of Mike, showed up with this and a couple of other nice items, but this was the object of my attention. The tag he had on it was $345. He said the $325 he quoted on the phone WAS my discounted price, 'cause I'm a pretty good customer.

This was one of several nice S&Ws he'd picked up in a collection recently - - I'd seen some old pre-model 10s, a fairly early Combat Masterpiece (pre-15,) and an early 1960s M19. This and a few others had been toward the bottom of the crate.

At first glance, the 13 does look primo - - No blue wear even on sharp corners, pristine stocks with sharp checking, no cartridge case rubs on the standing breech. Under strong light, the cylinder front shows it's been fired, probably with non-magnum loads. A turn line barely shows on the blue of the cylinder, but no bare metal shows. Matching small rub marks on the muzzle and toe of the butt, but no rubs on the cylinder, so it had probably set in the box on the brown VPI paper wrap.

The heart breaking part: It looks as if someone bled on it - - a series of rough spots on the R side just above the trigger, one about 1/4" and several others from 1/16 to 1/8". There is one such 1/8" spot on the opposite side. These spots drop the condition from a strong 99% to about 95%. Oh, well - - So now I won't feel bad about shooting it.

Really, the $325 price wasn't bad, but I HAD to haggle a bit. Pointing out the bad spots (which one could easily overlook in poor light, while examining a dozen other firearms,) and bewailing the local 8.25% sales tax, PLUS the danged form 4473 - - I wrote a check for $320. (Of course, I prefer to think of it as $295.61 plus tax.)

I'll try to get a couple of images. If not, well, you all know how a blue model 13 looks.

Best,
Johnny

kennybs plbg

Great buy, great gun. I also have a 13-2 purchased new in 82. Its my favorite, the only thing I'm not crazy about is that small rd. butt gets lost in bigger hands.

kenny b

W Turner

I recently picked up a 13-3 that a local shop had sitting on their shelves for over a year. Ended up paying $290 OTD for it. Cosmetic condition is about 85% by my estimation, but the mechanical condition is closer to 90%. Payed a little more than I would have liked, but this is the only one I have seen in my area in the past few years so I don't really mind.

W