Price Check: Ruger Security Six

BigMike

I saw and held a used Ruger Security Six today. It was stainless steel, wood grips and a 2 3/4" barrel. Looked pretty good, and had a smooth trigger. Asking price was $349. Good deal??

Mike

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Big Mike:

If the Ruger Security-Six is NIB the price isn't too bad; but
it's not great either. In the stainless construction, a figure
between $300-$325 would be more common. This firearm
was the predecessor of the GP-100 series; and the GP-100
would demand a little more money.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Erich

I might be out of line with current market prices, but I think that's easily $100 too high. If it was $225 it'd be a good deal. If it was under $200, well, you'd have to buy it.

I mean, you can pick up a brand new SP-101 for about that price, can't you? And a GP-100 for about the same. I haven't lately seen the huge numbers of police trade-in Ruger Security Sixes that used to be around, but I'd bet a perusal of the Gun List or even Shotgun News would show similar revos for about $100 less.

Good gun, though. Good luck with it!

6mm

I got a 2 3/4" SS Security Six in approx 90% condition at the last Gunshow I went to, for $190.00. It was from a private dealer who I don't believe knew the price of Security Six's.

There were a few others there. Most notable was a 6" SS with box approx 95% and it was priced at $399.00!!!

It seems lately, I haven't seen any of the Six's for less then $250 even in poor shape.

6mm

glockorama

I'd say a bit too high. A shop I go to in Seattle has a 4" blued one for $250 and it is like new. The owner said that Security Sixes were drying up and harder to come by, so the prices might go up, but I doubt it. Too many other used wheelies out there. I might buy it, even tho I don't need another .357.:rolleyes:

BigMike

Thanks for the replies. That was also kinda my feeling but I'm not as proficient in revolvers as I am in autos in assessing what may/may not be a good deal. I spoke to a co-worker today and he said the same thing as everyone else here. This was a downtown shop with a reputation to be on the high side of everything. I may check out some gun shows when they come to town. Thanks to everyone again!

Mike