Price check: Ruger MKII Govt. Target???

rantingredneck

What would you expect to pay for an 85%-90% Ruger MKII Govt. Target with 2 mags and no box/documents??

6 7/8" Bull Barrel, Blued finish, wear on upper and frame, but no visible rust or pitting. Looks like it could be touched up with cold blue rather effectively. One grip panel has some funky discoloration that may or may not come out.

I was quoted 275+tax...........

Buy or walk away?

RickB

I just sold a minty, fixed-sight, 6" gun for $300, so I'd value the gun you're describing at less than $275; more like $200. Values drop way off as the condition drops down below 90%.

3leggeddog

The mark II GOVT. Target was Rugers BEST .22 , there hard to fine. They where very-very accurate. If the bore looks good,I'd pay 275 in a hearth beat. Check if gunbroker.com got some for a price check .

1-UP

Is it the slab-side model or just the heavy taper? I forget some of the designations. If it's the slab-side, snap it up and walk away laughing. The ones I've seen have been $500+. $275 would be a steal.

If it's a heavy taper, I guess it just depends on your area. I don't think $275 is a bad price, and the Mark II's are going nothing but up. Give it another 5 years and you won't be able to find ANY of them for under $300, much less the nicer Govt. model. Unless it's only describably as a beater gun, I wouldn't feel bad about paying $275.

Pilot

In reality, are they any more accurate than the standard 5.5 inch bull barrel Target model or 6 7/8 inch slab side Target model?

Accuracy is going to be pretty much the same regardless of barrel configuration. I'd heard that the Gov't Target had a differnet rifling twist but have never seen any proof of this. I sold a very well used (Ex Rental :eek:) Gov't Target without a box or papers for $400.00 and the buyer was thrilled.

The Gov't Target is a 6-7/8" Bull barrel in either blue or stainless.

erob3

Don't know if this helps but I just bought a Mark II stainless slab side competition target 6 7/8" barrell and gave $325. I didn't think that was too bad, the trigger pull is fantastic.

3leggeddog

The main difference is that the Chamber on the Gov. model is match to the bore ,the other rugers are not. So its More accurate!

Last edited:

dgludwig

In reality, are they any more accurate than the standard 5.5 inch bull barrel Target model or 6 7/8 inch slab side Target model?

On 1-30-91, Ruger provided the following response to the question concerning the difference between the 5.5 inch bull barrel Target model and the Government model pistols:
"...The basic difference is that we do target the Government Model at 25 yards with CCI Green Tag ammunition to insure it shoots a 1 1/4" group. This is not to say you might not get the same results with your 5 1/2" bull barrel, but it would not have to in order to meet our manufacturing specifications.
"The Government Model also has a heat treated chamber which allows us to hold it to a slightly tighter specification..."

Pahoo

3leggeddog + 1
All the ones I have seen or owned, had a factory supplied target. They do bring a higher price than the standards and yes, harder to find. I sold one last month for $270.00 in your condition or slightly better and no extra mag.

Be Safe !!!

rantingredneck

Well, this one didn't pan out. I went back in Monday to buy the gun and they couldn't locate the extra mag. Apparently the person I had been dealing with the week prior had put it somewhere wierd and they couldn't find it and couldn't reach him by phone (his day off). Went back in Wednesday and it had been sold.

Oh well.........I didn't need to go spending the $ anyway.............but I wanted to :D.

Thanks for the info folks