Price check: Remington 700P

keens

In SC it would be a great price from a gunshop NIB...If my memory serves me right, have seen them near $800 here...I want one as well...what caliber are you looking at (just curious)...

Drjones

Hi keens.

The one I saw at a shop was close to $1000.00! :eek:

I'm looking at .308, in fact I think I just bought one. :D

.308 is simply "it" as far as general purpose rifle cartridges go. Sure, it isn't perfect for every job, but it will do just about anything you ask of it and do it well, at least that's what I've garnered from reading various forums.

You can get one for $659 from Sportingarms.com; NIB in .308 short action.

:)

You going to get one soon?

keens

Drjones,

It looks like you got a great price!
I hope you are happy with your purchase. I have the LTR and would like one day to get the full size PSS version. My LTR is .308 also which is my favorite caliber...I have experimented with others but keep coming back to my favorite for hunting whitetails here on the east coast. It also is my favorite for shooting small groups from my bench. I cannot buy another rifle this year, but maybe one day...I am thinking it will be my next rifle purchase...I will take a look at the web page you sent...thanks, Enjoy!

keens

keens

Drjones...one more thing...what scope, rings, mounts are you going with?
I put the PRI picatinny rail (6 inch) and PRI rings on my LTR...scope is Swarovski AV 4X12X50 (one inch tube)...it looks major cool... :cool:

Drjones

My PSS that I'm buying from an individual has Leupold rings and bases and a Tasco Super Sniper scope.

I've read tons about the Super Snipers and the general consensus is that you'd have to spend at least $1,000.00 or more to get a scope that is significantly better than the SS.

The SS is $300. :eek:

Considering that this is going to be my first scoped rifle, I think the SS will be sufficient for me to learn on. ;)

Drjones

Keens:

Swarovskis are among the best. Good pick! If I had the cash, I'd be torn between that and a Zeiss.

Do you have any pics you could post??

:)

keens

Drjones,
I was torn too between the Swarovski and the Zeiss...I thought I would be happy either way...and I am. I did notice that I have to slide the Swarovski a bit further back than my Leupolds...less eye relief? It seems so to me. I need to take a pic and post it here...might try that tonight...never posted a pic before so I will have to figure that one out. Should not be too hard though.

keens

Actually the five reasons I went with Swarovski...

1.) I read that the coatings are the same on the one Swarovski one inch scopes as their 30 mm tubes...not sure that is true with the Zeiss 1 inch tube scopes compared to their 30mm...(It may be though).

2,) It is the scope Kenny Jarrett recommends. He recommends Leupold as well.

3.) Some of my hunting hunting buddies use them and swear by them.

4.) The local gunsmith is a Swarovski dealer and says they are "the best"...so I knew it was a good choice....I realize "best" is usually subjective. He stated that "they spend twice as much time on the lens' as anyone else". I did not purchase the scope from him though.

5.)It has just been the one I have always wanted...

FYI, I paid $889 including sales tax for the one inch 4X12X50 AV (American Variable)

FWIW, I am sure I would be just as happy with the Zeiss though...as a matter of fact my personal view is that the Zeiss scopes are better looking...

Finally, I am one of those guys that does not always think practical when it comes to buying guns, knives, scopes etc...I have precise expectations with regard to looks, and I like having something a bit different sometimes. For instance, I carry heavy guns in the feild like AR-10's, the LTR, Rem Sendero .300 RUM etc...most of my friends carry sporters like the model seven (love those too) and Browning A-Bolts...have one of those too...(the Stainless in the Common 30-06)...but I like my "different" ones the best. You should see the looks I get when I unveil the AR-10 in the hunting camp. One day this guy asks me if he can take my picture holding the gun...he was the Landowner...bet he'll get one soon.

Keens

keens

Drjones,
I just looked up the Zeiss one inch tubes...they do use the same coatings on the VM/V line as their VM/V 30 mm scopes...they cost more than the Conquest series of course...worth it to me though... :)