Price check on SLR-95 Please!

Paochow

Is $650 a fair price for a brand-new, never fired Bulgarian SLR-95 made by Arsenal? If not, anyone know where I can find a brand-new one cheaper? I have seen kit guns with Bulgarian milled receivers for around $500, but was under the impression the Arsenal gun is put together well.

I realize the VEPR series is also a good gun in this price range, but honestly like the looks of the SLR better. Any comments on the SLR are appreciated. Thanks.

ROCK-n-GLOCK

Well I think I am very qualified to answer this one. I own both! I bought my SLR-95 back in 97 for 349.00 NIB from a gun shop in Seattle. It is a very nice AK and is considered one of the better POSTban offerinfs of all of the AK's out there. You're right, it is well made, better than average accuracy for an AK and is well made with a rock solid milled rcvr. It shoots nice, and is very solid. The VEPR II is a step up IRT quality and accuracy. The VEPR II is made from a RPK rcvr and as such is about .5mm thicker than the normal rcvr's. The fit finsih is better than the SLR, but not by much. The barrel is deffinitley better, in the .223, it is a semi bull barrel and is really nice. Some people don't care for the front site, but I like it just fine. The VEPR II comes with a side rail, ther SLR doesn't. That is not a big deal as you can add one yourself for 25 bucks...

Iagree, the SLR is a nice looking AK, especially when you swap out the parts and add a pistol grip/buttstock kit to make it look like it is suppose too instead of that butt ugly sporter buttstock.

I like them both, but if I had to pick just one, I would go with my VEPR II, it is more accurate and is a nicer finished gun. BUt again, the SLR is a fine weapon also...You should be able to find a good SLR for 500.00 or less. There aren't too many NIB SLR's out there so check it out really good. If it is more than 500, I would deffinitely get the VEPR II. The VEPR's are 479.00 dealer cost for the .223 and the 7.62x39 is 10 bucks cheaper..

View

View

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
$650 for a New In Box SLR-95 is not a super-great deal, but not a bad one either. I think you would be able to find one for around $600 depending on where you are at. I'd like to find a place that still has them for $500 NIB. I think those days are over. I've heard they go for $750 or more in some parts of the country.

Check out the gas system for signs of firing to be sure that it is really NIB. Also be sure that the receiver is made to accept full-capacity magazines; some of the recently imported SLRs don't.

You will like the SLR=95. It is a joy to shoot.

Paochow

Thanks, I think I am going to buy it. I'd go with the VEPR series, but find want a gun that can be easily made to look like a more traditional AK. I am willing to sacrifice a bit in accuracy and finish to have a gun that IMHO looks sharp.

ROCK-n-GLOCK: Your SLR looks awesome! What stock kit did you use? Do you need to swap in US made mag baseplates and followers to use it legally? That is definitely what I would like my dream AK to look like.

TheBluesMan: I recently moved to the Brunswick, GA area. I will actually be buying the gun from a dealer in the Midwest, with the money back assurance that it is NIB. If anyone knows of anyone selling one NIB in the S. GA or N. FL area please let me know, it would save me some hassel.

Thanks again.

ROCK-n-GLOCK

Paochow,

I used the US made stock, forearm and grip from K-VAR. And yes I also used a trigger, sear, spring and follower to make the 7 requisite parts to be leagal to use hi-cap mags. It is a pain because the Bulgie parts that come in the SLR-95 are good quality, but those butt-ugly sporter stocks just made me sick, so that is the reason for the change. Want to be legal and in compliance with these stupid laws our leaders pass so thay can say they did something about assault weapons! In the case of rifles like FAL's, what they did was give us better weapons! politicians are such idiots, whatever it takes to get a vote!