Price Check on Aisle 7

vertigo7

This is semi-related to this thread. I found the following rifle at a local shop this afternoon:

Ruger M77 Mark 2 in .270 Winchester
stainless bull barrel / receiver
Ruger custom black Zytel stock
4-12x40 Swift optics w/ mounts & braces
Butler Creek Sling

The rifle was traded by someone, but it was obviously his baby, because it was fanatically well cared for, and had some excellent gunsmithing done to the trigger and action. The bore and chamber were spotless. I've never seen a bolt action as slick and smooth as this rifle had, and the trigger was excellent. The shop wanted $699 for it.

I just wanted to get an opinion on the price from folks that know more about rifles than me. If I'd had the funds available, I'd probably have bought it on the spot.

Thanks,

vertigo7

Last edited:

Gewehr98

Which chambering was that?

Did you mean .270 Weatherby Magnum, or just .270 Winchester (not a magnum)?

Or was it a wildcat somebody based off the .300 Winchester Magnum, necked down to .270.

Ruger's current listing for the M77MkII shows the .270 Winchester, with an MSRP of $675.00 for the plain-vanilla version.

vertigo7

Err.... I could have sworn the barrel markings said .270WinMag. I called the shop back and they confirmed it's .270 Winchester.

vertigo7

Unkel Gilbey

I second Gewehr...

When you said Bull barrel, the first thing I though of was that this was someone's wildcat of the newer WSM and Rem Ultra Short action chamberings. I don't think that Winchester ever made a 270 WinMag (who knows what their R&D people did...!)

Seems to me that if the trigger is good on a Mk II, it's been worked on. So this means that it might REALLY have been worked on, meaning rebarrel, rechamber, etc. Could indeed be someone's baby, where they dreamed up or cooked up a wildcat, and then either ran out of money/time/patience/etc. Take your pick. Although a 270 WSM does sound kinda racey, doesn't it?

If it's a plain old 270 WCF, ask if you can test drive it and see how it shoots, and if you like what you see, I'd say you could probably throw 6 bills down on the counter and start to dicker!

Which ever direction you take, good luck!

Unkel Gilbey

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I have a very poor impression of Swift scopes. I think (for my location) that the price is a bit high. Seems like retail plus the scope, plus a bit more.

One thing you have to ask your self, if the rifle shot well, why did the previous owner trade it?