Price Check - Norinco AK .223

Wanted to see what everyone thought about this. My good friend is willing to sell me his Norinco AK NHM 90 (I think) for $475 with birdcage flash suppressor and 5 30 round mags so he can get a Glock 20. The bayonet lug was filed off as it came through Canada and the model number and serial numbers were changed also (Can't remember the origional Chinese model number). I know this is a good price and I'm getting it anyway. Just want a little feedback on if you all would buy it if you were in my shoes. Think the price will jump with what we can see on the horizon?

Last edited:
True. I guess I was just trying to see if people agree that it is a good price to put any second guessing to rest. I suffer from the worst cases of buyers remorse sometimes. I think this might be my Election '08 gun.

kman

Those chinese Maks are not parts guns like the crap available now, and they are all bringing about $500 used. It's a good deal that will only increase in value, get it before somebody else does.

Danzig

Sounds good to me. I payed about 600 for my MAK 90 during the ban..and I still think that it was worth every penny.

ISC

it's a pretty good deal. The mags are worth anywhere from $15-$50 ea and the rifle alone is worth $500-$600.

Kman is right, the quality is much higher for the chinese rifles than the Romanians that are available now for $400-$500.

Yeah, I have shot it before, the only downside is that it can't shoot certain types of ammo. It seems that the firing pin punches out the primer or it punches a hole in the primer. Doesn't matter to me because I only shoot Wolf .223 and it shoots that fine. Heres a pic of the MAK before the birdcage supressor was added: http://http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12902&d=1115527247
Stock and all metal are in great shape, no rust.

Skans

Those chinese Maks are not parts guns like the crap available now, and they are all bringing about $500 used. It's a good deal that will only increase in value, get it before somebody else does.

While the Chinese guns were well made, SOME of the USA built guns are comparable in quality. I don't particularly care for AK's in .223 or the post-ban configuration (thumb hole, no bay lug and non-threaded barrel) - they don't appreciate in value as much as the truer looking 7.62x39's do - you can track the prices during the last ban and see what I'm talking about.

I have both an older Polytech stamped AK and a new Lancaster built Underfolder using a Polish Parts set. I have done a side-by-side comparison of these two guns and their parts. The receivers on both guns are well made - the lancaster uses a 1.5mm DCI heat treated receiver. The parts set is all matching on the Lancaster and appears to be in excelent condition, if not new.

I prefer the fit and finish of the chinese bolt and bolt carrier - it also uses a sprung firing pin rather than the floating firing pin in the Polish bolt.

The fire control parts are nicely made and finished in both rifles

The DuraCoat that has beein applied to the Lancaster will be more corrosion resistant and durable than the simple blued finish on the Polytech - however, my Polytech is about 20 years old and has no rust on it. I like the underfolder on the Lancaster (that's why I bought it). The wood stock that came on the Polytech had absolutely no finish on it when I purchased it new. It got dirty easily so I sanded it and applied a polyurathine finish to it. I like the all black plastic fore-stocks that came with the Lancaster.

I also like the magazines that came with the Polytech over the one that came with the Lancaster - just seem to be constructed a little better and are slightly heavier.

Still, the Lancaster shoots without a hitch, just like the Polytech does. Both have chrome lined barrels and both will probably outlast me by a 200 years or more.

The bottom line is that there are some really good quality underfolding AK's being made in the USA right now - buy the good quality ones while you still can; while they are still importing parts. Because come Jan 20, I doubt that any more parts to make AKs with will be imported.

stantonizm

I'd go ahead and buy it before he decides to raise the price or hold on to it. May not be able to find one at all before too long.

Logs

I almost bought a .223 AK myself last week found one at a shop for $469 with one mag. I ended up buying a few AR lowers instead.