Price check, MAK-90

lee n. field

Buddy of mine is tempting me with a Norinco MAK-90 AK.

Ban era, I assume. Comes with the original wood thumbhole stock and forend, and a hand grip and metal side folding stock that sure looks like a commie original. Also a pinned on flash hider.

Total round count is probably less than a thousand.

What are these things going for these days?

ISC

Chinese rifles never came with a side folding stock. In order to use it on a MAK 90 you'll have to remove some metal from it because the MAK 90 has a thicker reciever than a euro rifle. Keep in mind the 922r restrictions.

Mak 90s are well made AKs, definately worth more than a WASR 10. $300-400 seems low since it's in very good-excellent condition and includes some extras like a $50 Romainian side folder (what it sounds like from your description).

I think getting it for $400 as a private sale (no tax or FFL fee/markup) would be a great deal. Retail for that package would be more like $500+tax.

lee n. field

The slant cut will make it hard to replace the thumbhole stock.

The stock and handgrip have already been done. Current stock looks like this:

smithak06.jpg

With a forward handgrip that may need to be replaced.

No bayonet mount, making it a ban era gun.

ronl

That sure looks like a Chicom stock to me. Polytech had some in that configuration when they first came into the country. Not all of the MAK receivers had the slant cut rear. I had one years ago that didn't. I think that if you can pick the gun up for $400 you have made a good purchase.

ISC

its definately not a romanian side folder like I earlier guessed. It's also definately not an original MAK 90 stock. Looks good though.

lee n. field

Just to be clear, this is not the gun in question. This is the first picture I found with Google that illustrates the stock and pistol grip that the seller installed on the gun I'm looking at.