price check 7.62 nato full can

stuckinthe60s

I found out elsewhere that 7.62 is going for 2.00 a round, 20 bucks for the can. figure 875 a can of 430count for the usgi stuff.

44 AMP

Staff
Why so expensive?

Factory (arsenal production) match ammo in a caliber that hasn't been the service rifle round since the early 60s is kind of a niche thing.

Covid, and all that went with it, and our current economic situation with everything costing more than it used to along with still extant shortages in many things, all this, and more brought us to the price levels today.

The current administration is claiming the success of its economic plan.

IF what we have today is success, I don't see it.

44caliberkid

Whenever a can comes up in an online auction someone pays crazy money for it, plus buyers premium, plus shipping. Just ridiculous. Just buy Privi Partisan 7.62 Match. It shoots great and isn’t insanely priced compared to the current market.

ocharry

i used to get that stuff all the time...NATO surplus 7.62

then a while back...way before covid...it started drying up and the price went through the roof....when i was getting it i was buying it in 50cal ammo cans..under $100 and 200rnd battle packs..less than $50..IIRC...still have a few...several sitting around...unopened

but yeah 44 AMP is right

and 44caliberkid is too...that privy stuff is pretty good for the money

heck 223-556 nato stuff is 400+ depending on where you get it...does seem to be creeping down some....but very little...last case i got of that stuff was $250...so there ya go..lol

ocharry

These two current brands seem to be high quality:

In the last few months I've found Swiss-made ("CH": the official Swiss Latin abbrev.) .308 by using Ammo Seek, which supposedly is NATO 7,62, at about .65 per round. It has a green sealant , fwiw.

Also, for about .75/rd., GGG, a Lithuanian-made "NATO" flavor of 308. This also has a colored primer sealant.

These brands were actually produced inside the designated ccountres--Not outsourced.

So many people want very sealed containers of ammo, possibly because some of them watch far too many post-apocalyptic, fantasy movies on Amazon Prime.;)

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
So many people want very sealed containers of ammo, possibly because some of them watch far too many post-apocalyptic, fantasy movies on Amazon Prime

Or it might just be generations of "training" that factory sealed items don't deteriorate, or spoil (absent an expiration date) and so its one less thing to worry about.

This is not, strictly speaking, true and I have encountered more than a few things (that weren't food, or a chemical product" that was years old, still in the factory wrap, but had deteriorated.

Lots of things don't, but not everything.

Ammo can be one of the things that lasts and lasts, BUT it needs to be stored correctly, and a sealed can CAN go bad if subject to extreme conditions.

OR, if the ammo in it was crap to begin with.....:D

MTT TL

I just tried to do a price check on my stores of Greek and US Surplus 7.62X63 and came to the realization there wasn't any left any more. So I guess I can ask whatever I want for it and see what people are willing to pay. I seem to recall paying around $.20 a round for it back in the early part of the century from CMP until Cheaper Than Dirt bought them out and jacked up the price. I always thought that was dirty and never bought another thing from them ever again.

Why bother with original NATO 7.62 if some modern .308 is 100% reliable? It's your hard-earned cash. Enjoy.

The Swiss and Lithuanian (current production) .308 I ^ already described:) ^ in this topic has been perfect in both my Springfield M1A and (Imbel SAR) FAL.

These two rifles--based upon comments by very seasoned rifle builders--can use Nato 7.62 and .308 with equal safety and reliability.

stuckinthe60s

choosing usgi nato over others is based solely on the chamber being fit and cut and the gun being built around the 7.62/51 nato round. my match gun is very demanding and likes when I take care of it.
sorta like a baby spitting out carrots when he thought the next spoon was going to be bananas.

Last edited: