Pretty handgun grips and GREAT customer service!

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I’ve wanted to get a nice set of Ahrends smooth 1911 stocks for several months. So, for the past few months, I’ve been visitng http://www.pickagrip.com/ to “browse”. The format at Pick a Grip is unique. The company has digital photos of various grips on the site. If you see one you like, email them to reserve the grips. You can either call in your order, fax, or send via snail mail. Grips are sold on a first come, first served basis.

Anyway, I picked out a set of beautiful smooth Ahrends Cocobolo’s from the site. I emailed them to reserve the stocks with my shipping information. Later, I received an email from Don Williams that the grips were available and reserved for me. Shortly there after, I received another email from Don that there was a mistake and a person in California had reserved the stocks. Finally, I received another email with a message that there had been a mistake. The person from California cancelled the order and the stocks were still available if I wanted them. I responded with a definite yes.

A couple of days later, before Don Williams received my money order, a Priority Mail box arrived at my house with the beautiful stocks. The digital photo on his site does not do the grips any justice! Attached was the packing slip which contained a short message and a $10 bill. The message states the following:
Son-
Sorry for the screw up.
Hope this helps.

Thanks
Don

Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised! With today’s cut throat businesses, it’s a blessing to find a company that believes in customer service. I never asked for a discount or any special service. I was not aware of Don’s intentions until I received the grips. I just felt that his concern for a customer’s satisfaction was worth sharing with everybody.

One last note, Pick a Grip is a branch of The Action Works in Chino Valley Arizona. With this kind of service, I’ll probably get a 1911 customized by Don in the near future. Here’s The Action Works web site: http://www.theactionworks.com/ and Pick a Grip http://www.pickagrip.com

FWIW
Son

[Edit: In addition to 1911 grips, there are also grips for S&W revolvers, Walthers, and Brownings]

[Edited by ArmySon on 02-17-2001 at 09:52 PM]

gdhillard

How can you guess the hand fit of these grips? They look beautiful! And I'm sure that they are well made, and I like the idea of buying from individual craftsmen, but I worry about what happens if the grip dosen't fit your hand? Houge is a standard product, so I can predict who a grip set will feel. Are these carved or sized to anything I can try out? Thanks, Gary

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Kim Ahrends is a renown maker of 1911 stocks (grips). His grips are among the prettiest I've seen on the market. IMHO, the only other stocks that are more beautiful is made by Craig Spegel.

In general, 1911 stocks are all closely the same thickness. So, unless you buy the ultra thin carry stocks, they all basically feel the same in your hand.

I think I'm gonna get a couple of sets for my S&W revolvers and Browning Hi Powers.

I just took this pic of the stocks:

View

Sam C

I also purchased a a pair from Don Williams. He was a pleasure to do business with. Somehow he copied my credit card number wrong over the phone. He called that night to straighten things out. What a gentleman! Two days later, I got a pair of beautiful Cocobolo grips for my Colt (they looked better than the photo). With that kind of customer service he is now at the top of my list to work on my 1991A1. Sam

AR-10

ArmySon

Just a note of interest. I happen to live in the same town as Kim Ahrends. He does nice work, I understand. Unfortunately, I don't know anybody in the county that has his grips on their gun. He does not sell anything out of his business except to retailers. Bigger retailers. I've never seen his grips for sale in any of the shops or shows I've gone to. I guess I'll have to get some from the gentleman you purchased yours from. Not a rant,just the facts. The only thing I don't like is the fact that when I see them for sale on the net, I never can see a good picture of the grips. I dislike buying through the mail.

Your grips look great! Congratulations.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
They look even better then the picture I took. I cropped it down quite a bit to keep the image size to around 50k.