Press footprints?

Ronbert

I've been looking to put my antique RCBS JR2 press back into service and been reminded of a bench design issue I had with it before I installed my Dillon. (and which the Dillon had as well)

In the old days I'd heft the press onto the spot, clamp it to the bench using 2 big C clamps. And after the first time I was good to go +/- press shifting and retightening clamps periodically. The FIRST TIME I had to chop out some material from my bench to allow linkage clearance.

My bench (bought with the house) is made of pressboard top on a frame of 2x4s. The 2x4 boards are on-edge as you face the bench and the pressboard is flush to the edge of the board frame so when adding the pressboard thickness to the on-edge 2-4 I have a 4 1/2" face below the surface of the bench.
Both my Dillon and the old RCBS have linkages that have to swing in the area behind the ram and interfere with the 2x4 of my bench. The first time I chopped out some of the wood from the 2x4 (ugly - yep). And I had to chop some out to accomodate the Dillon. (yep - that's ugly too)

I'd prefer to not do that to remount the RCBS. (I've added a layer of plywood on the bench which added height so re-chopping would take out most of the strength of the 2x4)

What I'm NOT finding is information about the linkage clearance, the hold-down bolt patterns and essentially the information I could use to make a decision if I were to choose to replace the RCBS with something else more compatible with my bench.

Am I missing something on the mfr's websites? Or am I going to have to write them for this info on each press I'm considering?

Thanks!

mongoose33

Is this what you're talking about?

rcbspress1.jpg

Lost Sheep

The two by six solution

When I first started reloading, I did not have a permanent place to set up. I did my reloading in the living room. I mounted my RCBS Jr on a 2x6 about 30" long and would wedge the board into the drawer of an end table. Or sometimes I would just tie it down with a belt. The bolts holding the press to the board were countersunk so as not to damage the finish on the end table.

I still use that same 2x6 for my Rockchucker which replaced the Jr. Instead of an end table, I use one of those folding workbenches and clamp it in.

If I had a permanent bench, I would just hog out whatever relief cuts were needed on the 2x6, let it extend out just far enough that the linkage clears the actual bench top. Then you can use whatever method you like to clamp the 2x6 to your bench.

The essential element is the 2x6 takes all the cutting, your workbench stays pristine and the 2x6 sticks out only just enought to let the linkage stay clear.

Just an idea that works for me. You can tell, I am not a carpenter.

Lost Sheep

GP100man

How `bout a peice of flat steel 6" wide & 12"x 3/8 thick, long bolted through the top with enuff left hangin over to give the linkage clearance .

I ran my bolt thru the 2x4 on the back but if ya ran 2 bolts down each side & fashioned a clamp I think would be sturdier.

I used to have 2 JRs mounted like this & it worked for revolver rounds good .

I canted em to the rite to give more clearance.

Ronbert

I'm going to cobble something together (probably with plywood since that's what I have on-hand though steel would be even better).

What I'm griping about is that one can't know in advance how to construct the bench because the operating clearances for the various presses aren't published. I bet I'm not the only one to have to do some ugly post-purchase modifications.......

(Mongoose your photo doesn't come up for me)

Thanks.

Haystack

I had the same problem. I used a piece of angle iron to mount the press. Works good.

Attachments

• DSC04455.JPG
    DSC04455.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 151

Ronbert

Nice solution!

If the photo showed the linkage with the ram down the problem would be obvious.

(I'm short of metal working supplies and drills so plywood is still the top contender)

mongoose33

You can approximate what haystack did with a piece of 2x8 or 2x10 by laying it on top of the bench and extending it past the front edge by about 2 1/2 inches or so.

I just went down to my shop and checked how much the linkage extends back from the front edge: About 1 3/4".

So if you can extend something about 2" out from the front edge and mount your press to that, you should be ok, assuming our presses are the same.

I've got to be honest with you, though: If it were me, I'd make a new bench. :)

Ronbert

My woodworking skills aren't up to a new bench. Nor is my interest in making it all "just right."

I'll probably glue 2 slabs of 3/4" plywood back to back to make a simulated-steel-plate that I can bolt to the bench so it projects out as needed.
Investment here is some gluing time, some sawing time, about 6 bolts and some drilling time. Can be easily removed when done using that press.

Still, if I could buy my way out with a different press I'd consider it. But- no info about press linkage clearances or bench bolt patterns seems to be available and my last trip to Sportsman's Warehouse found lots of presses in their factory boxes (but not setup where I can see them).

Doby45

I do my reloading on my wifes expensive dining room table. I get away with it because I went to Home Depot and bought a wooden step the kind that goes on a nice staircase in a house. I cut the step in half and then screwed the two halves together, therefore doubling the thickness of the step. Then I took a saw and cut out a notch in the end of that to accept the ram of my LoadMaster press. Finally I bolted it to the step and countersunk the bolts on the bottom so the step was flat. A few small pieces of cork pad and I have the perfect clamp on press. I will get a picture tonight and post it. Plan on doing the exact same thing for my little Breech Lock that I just ordered.

2qnmhjn.jpg

29cpied.jpg

fk900o.jpg

dsk5d.jpg

Last edited:

89yj

Check out the Redding Big Boss and Big Boss II presses. I just bought a Big Boss II and have a bench with 3/4 plywood mounted flush with a 2x4 on edge. It doesn't contact or swing under/behind the 2x4 at anytime during the stroke. But the Big Boss II does have a through ram primer disposal system that goes to a nipple that is in the backside of the ram. It's designed to have a tube slide over it to catch or direct the primers to a container. It looks like I will either have to notch the 2x4 slightly to use the tube or just place an empty bucket on the floor under it. I have about 1/4 clearance between the 2x4 and the nipple. I think the regular Big Boss is the same press without the through ram primer disposal.
The Big Boss II uses 3 mounting holes. The front hole is about 5/8 from the edge which places it over 2x4 support on my bench. The back two are about 2 5/8 back from the edge and about 3 1/4 apart.

Lost Sheep

You don't really need the press clearances.

The point I was trying to make with my post, and that now, serveral others have shown with pictures (which are still a bit beyond my current web setup) is that no press requires you cut into your bench. A slab of wood, steps, plywood, 2x6, most any method can mount a press in such a way that will allow any press can be mounted easily enough.

Just get a press you like. Mounting it will not be a problem. Just cut a mounting board to fit the press and mount th eboard to your bench. If I recall, my RCBS Jr came with a paper template for the mounting holes.

Lost Sheep.

Ronbert

Nice pictures Doby. Thanks.

To reiterate- my gripe about all this is that I can't seem to find out in advance what presses work with my bench. Maybe I'm just the one guy in the world who wants to know ahead of time how the darn thing gets set up. (This seems to be true in other areas as well. I once bought a service manual for a truck I hadn't decided to buy yet.)

I cut and glued my plywood planks last night so I've begun the journey of creating the bolt/clamp on platform for a press I already own. (cheapest solution)

spacecoast

Doby -

Very nice solution, and you gave me some great ideas, thanks! I also need to reload in our living area and don't have space for a dedicated workbench. I've been using a hand press so far, but would like to get a turret setup that would speed things up a bit. Using C clamps I think I could adapt something to our kitchen cabinets, a desk or maybe a heavy coffee table if there's clearance below.

Can someone tell me how far the handle needs to be able to extend vertically below the surface of the workbench on a Lee Turret and/or Lee single stage press?

Thanks in advance...

Ivan

Check out the Dillon Strong Mounts for a Dillon Press. They might work with other brands, but I am not sure. I just put the bench on a fairly portable table. Will try to post pictures if I remember.

- Ivan.

I'd suggest a system like I have put into place.

It is a system of "receiver" tubes mounted under the bench.

Then I build mounting plates attached to the "male" portion of the system and this allows me to change tools or have no tool at all at the bench.

When we moved into our new digs 3 years or so ago, I built in a nice bench/table the full length of our common area.

I call it the reloading room ande the wife calls it the craft or hobby room, but it is shere our easy chairs are, and our TV & stereo, so the bench/table needed to look nice.

It is faced with oak to match the rest of the house, and is surfaced with formica.

The holes/bolts to mount the under bench receiver tubes were put in before the formica went dddown, so there are NO holes in the bench surface.

I understand you are looking at a retro fit, but this system would give you lots of options and possibilities.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol Coot

Doby45

Can someone tell me how far the handle needs to be able to extend vertically below the surface of the workbench on a Lee Turret and/or Lee single stage press?

My LoadMaster and Breech Lock both drop approx a foot below the surface of the table.