Premature slide-lock-back questions.

Battler

I am fairly sure my Kimber compact has premature slide lockback.

It happened while firing single-handed point-shooting - no WAY I could even REACH it to nudge it.

What's the ideal for the slide lock? With the recoil assembly/barrel removed, I can align everything, push in a loaded mag, and have the front of a FMJ SLIGHTLY touch it, if I push the mag in fast I can push the slide lock into lock position - and I DID see a tiny bit of copper on it.

Should the slide lock be sanded/filed until this doesn't occur?

thanks,
Battler

Mikey

Yes...the slide stop should not contact the bullet. Take off only enough material to clear the rounds. Do a little and check, then repeat as required.

The bullet profile you are using may be "fatter" than usual at the front of the ogive but the stop should clear any normal commercial round. Since it doesn't it needs repaired or replaced.

If the problem still occurs after all contact is eliminated, it could be a little too slick in the plunger contact area. I have had to add a slight detent to a couple of mine to insure it stays put until the time comes. Watch out though...too much detent and it won't move at all!

Mikey

James K

Member In Memoriam
The combination of the right spring tension and the angle of the back of the stop should keep it in the down position without the need for a detent. One of the small, unimportant details the clone makers missed.

Jim