Preferred sling configuration?

spacecoast

I'm getting ready to take a tactical shotgun class and need to add a sling to my 12-gauge Wingmaster for the class. The gun has a 3-shot mag extension, secured by a barrel clamp which includes a sling stud. There is no sling stud on the stock, so I am looking for one of those, some swivels and a strap.

Before I start drilling, what is the preferred location for the stud that goes in the stock? From what I have been able to find, it needs to be centered on the bottom of the stock, the main question is - near the butt plate, near the grip cap, or where for easiest use? My Wingmaster has an 18 inch barrel if that matters.

R1145

A sling for "Wingie"

Most assault slings available do not require swivels. The rear is velcro webbing that goes on the buttstock.

For the front, a plastic buckle on a piece of cord is looped through the magazine extension bracket.

There is a front plate that fits on the magazine tube, under the cap (or, in your case, the extension nut), but the tube is not quite long enough to provide sufficient threading and the extension can work loose.

Spindrift

I tricked out my 870 a few years ago, and the multi position stock I put on has the sling hole on the bottom rear of the stock.

If you have an extended mag, I wouldn't trust an end cap mount. I don't remember where I got it but I put a mount on the extended mag which clamps it to the barrel and has a swivel on it, since I shoot lefty, the swivel is on the right side. When you start adding stuff and then load up that extended mag the gun gets heavy, possibly compromising and end cap mount.

I haven't found a sling system that I like yet and eventually will create my own.

Attachments

• 1205081146.jpg
    1205081146.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 40

ET.

My 870 Express has the fore end swivel mounted to the bracket that holds the mag to the barrel which is very secure. The stock is centered at the back of the stock on the bottom as you have indicated. I bought a set of black sling swivel mounts from Bass Pro and a simple leather sling from them as well which is attached to each mount. There were a lot of tactical slings that looked like more than I wanted since mine is for HD exclusively and I would only use it to hang the gun over my shoulder if I needed two hands for something. It just keeps me from having to put it down in that instance. I also wrap my left arm thru it when aiming & firing to secure it. That keeps it from being ripped from me in case a BG grabs it and steadies it by drawing it tight to my shoulder while firing.

Spindrift

I'm looking for some sort of sling which will keep the gun in an upright position if I had to let go of it for a moment to use both hands and then want to go right back to a ready position, without the sling being in line of sight. Haven't quite figured one out yet.