Preferred M1A Ammo

Dave P

It's time to splurge and get some good factory ammo to try in my rifle. Anybody want to reccommend a factory load for accuracy?

Thanks
Dave

HankL

Federal Match 168 grain would be a very good starting point. This ammo was made for the M1A
Good luck and welcome aboard!
Hank

Dave, just be sure that the ammo you use is mil-spec with regards to pressure & velocity. The M1 & M14 were designed to operate within mil-spec and ammo which is too hot can accelerate wear.

alan

DaveP:

If ypou can find the stuff, Government Match Ammunition, the white box stuff loaded at Lake City usually worked well, though each rifle could be "a law unto itself". I understand that the Federal Match, that the marines used to use was quite good also.

It was loaded with 168 grain bullets, Sierra I think. The National Match (Lake City) was loaded with the FA Match Bullet (nominally 173 grain), which held up better at long range, beyond 600 yards. The thinking was that the 168 grain bullets lost gyroscopic stability by the time they reached 1000 yards, in 7.62 NATO loads, the 173 grain bullets hadn't.

Dave P

Thanks for the help, guys! Looks like I will order some Federal match from Natchez this week. I re-joined the local club this week, so I can try it out soon on the 600 yrd range - Ha! I'd be happy it I can keep it on target at 200 yrds! The NM hooded sight is nice, but I bet a good scope would do wonders for me, too.

Thanks

Benton Quest

If you're looking for a nice 168 gr match bullet, don't forget Hornady. They make a superb loading with thier 168 A-Tap bullet that in some weapons actually outperforms the Sierra (Which is also great). The A-Tap has a re-designed ogive that actually gives it a better ballistic coefficient. Of course, as mentioned above, each weapon is different. Good luck!

Jerry Stordahl

Dave: You'll never be sorry buying Federal 168gr. Match ammo. They offer 175gr. match also. Both bullets are Sierra's. I've used the 168gr. stuff and get consistent .5 MOA from my Winchester Sharpshooter. Hornady 168gr. bullets in handload form do the same, as do handloads with the Sierra 168gr. Good luck. Jerry.

------------------
NRA Life Member