Prefer Well-Worn or Safe-Queen?

Is your favorite firearm a safe-queen or a rough-and-tumble?

• Safe Queen

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Rough-and-Tumble

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 38 67.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

P-990

Just a simple question for the board, popped up while reading Sturmgweher's posting about his Glock mud test.

I notice two basic kinds of gun owners/shooters: Those who fear getting their preciousses dirty, and those who just use them and don't worry about it. I'm curious, actually, this should probably be a poll, but which side do you fall on and why?

I'll start: My favorite firearms are almost all well-used. Looked after, clean, but not pristine and in no way collectors. I like my AR-15 match rifle with the paint, tape, wear and black sticky stuff on it probably most of all. Next would be my well-worn Remington 870 20 ga (makes a handy wading staff FWIW ;). Handgun would probably be a Glock 17.

None of these will ever be collectors, but they are well used and reliable. The Glock has broken a frame rail and is being repaired. The AR is on it's second barrel. The 870 just gets cleaned, lubed and used. I can pick up any of these and know they will work and do what I ask. These are tops on the list of "do not get rid of" weapons.

Of course, nothing else I have fears shooting in the rain, snow, sleet, hot sun, whatever, either. Or getting dragged along through the woods or swamp. Just these three are the go-to's.

Now don't get me wrong, I think collecting is a reasonable pastime and reason to own any firearm, just as I agree some things should be treated carefully (pristine 1st Gen Colt SAAs for example).

Where do you fall and why?

croyance

Depends on what the gun is, really. I mean a Glock is not only meant to be a working gun, but the idea of a pretty[/I ] Glock is fairly ridiculous.
For something that has significant collector value, taking it out to the range can hurt resale value - what to do with a Python with an unturned cylinder, for example?

I don't want large amounts of wear on my guns - I want to do that myself. I do take all my guns to the range and wouldn't pay the extra for a perfectly pristine discontinued gun (for new, it better be pristine) if it were side by side with another that had some wear. Assuming they both check out being as mechanically sound, of course. Since I am going to have fun with them, spending that extra money is a waste.

I do take good care of my guns though, so even the one with the most usage doesn't have significant amounts of wear.

WoofersInc

Have no problem shooting anything that I own. However that doesn't mean that I will abuse them. Holster wear on a carry piece is not the same as rust or other signs of neglect. Clean and maintain but use them as intended.

AZGunLover

My Glock 19 has thousands of rounds through it, has been carried everywhere legal, and has never let me down. It is by no means a "safe queen." I LOVE IT!!!

It is hard to describe where I fall into this grouping. I like to use and carry my firearms but I like to also keep them as pristine as possible. I do have some that are only safe queens and some that are workhorse range guns. After a while though you get to a point where you already have more than you can carry or shoot so you just start buying things because you want them. So some of the guns can live their lives as eye candy in a safe.

The ones I carry and use I tend to get meticulous care. After every use I try to return them back to prefired condition. I clean them and lube them appropriately. if a gun gets scratched I buff it out. I believe that if you let little things go they tend to pile up and become big things.

I feel the same way with my vehicles. I got a ding on my truck the other day and I called a dent repair service and had it fixed that day. That way things are kept in good condition.

Axion

I'm gonna echo others statements here simply because I feel the same way.

For "working guns" like my Sig 229 I take the time to clean them well after each shooting and try my best not to get them scratched (would never throw them in mud) but if they DO get a scratch I won't cry. Now someday when I'm not in school I intend to own something really nice, like a Les Baer 1911 and when I do I'll be MUCH more careful about keeping that gun pristine. Well as pristine as a gun that gets shot every week can be, no safe queens for me.

mikejonestkd

I have a few ' working guns' that get cleaned and well taken care of but I don't pamper them. I bought them with the intent to use them and use them in conditions that I wouldn't put other firearms through.

And then I have a few that only come out on nice days for trips to the range and get pampered the whole time. I once got a tiny scratch on the walnut stock of my favorite range rifle and almost cried....

I guess it comes down to the purpose for owning a particular firearm. To me a glock is a tool that needs to be well maintained but I expect it to get a few nicks and scratches over time. my personal favorite .22 auto gets knocked around quite a bit in the hunting field and it doesn't bother me one bit. A 1st gen SAA is a piece of art that should be pampered and treated differently.

BillCA

When I'm looking at guns to buy, I won't let a little honest wear & tear turn me off. On the contrary, a gun that shows signs of use is one that was used enough to get that way and reliable enough that it was someone's favorite shooter.

I prefer to buy guns that are "like new" because I'll be the one to put the wear on them. But one of the nicest shooting guns I ever bought was an old police trade-in S&W Model 15. It wasn't pristine but neither was it beat up.

The few safe queens I have are that way simply because they are in nearly perfect shape and too expensive to reduce their value by shooting extensively.

OBIWAN

I don't try to "mess mine up"

But I shoot them a lot so it still happens

I think signs of wear give them character...and they show that they have been used...not necessarily abused

I have tried going the "collector route" and it smply doesn't work for me

For me the pride is in using them well...not simply owning them

tony pasley

I have daily carry/use guns you can see the wear and tear that comes from daily use. Now how many of you would use a rifle that was made in 1812, or a pistol that was bought in 1975, or a shotgun that was made in 1870 all family hierlooms. I have many collectables and gun that are part of American History. I won't carry those and love each and every one but each has its own reason for being.

gb_in_ga

I prefer to buy guns that are "like new" because I'll be the one to put the wear on them. But one of the nicest shooting guns I ever bought was an old police trade-in S&W Model 15. It wasn't pristine but neither was it beat up.
Roger that, Bill. I found a Model 15(-2) that was apparently an old police trade-in as well, and it now resides in SWMBO's bedside table (I showed it to her, she bought it.). It has some "honest" holster wear, but other than that there's nothing wrong with it. Sweet shooting gun, and it cost less than $200 from a dealer.

I, for one, don't mind a little honest wear on the finish if I'm buying used. But I do insist that it is in good working condition.

"After every use I try to return them back to prefired condition. I clean them and lube them appropriately. if a gun gets scratched I buff it out. I believe that if you let little things go they tend to pile up and become big things.

I feel the same way with my vehicles. I got a ding on my truck the other day and I called a dent repair service and had it fixed that day. That way things are kept in good condition."

+1 on PBP's post.

Whether it's well worn or brand new, my dad beat it into me to take care of what you have, but use it PROPERLY...

JohnKSa

Administrator
Both.

I have a few guns that get babied and could pass for new after years of use. My first pistol is in VERY good condition even though it's seen more than a few rounds go downrange.

I've also got a few that get used hard and show it.